Parking Brake

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Does anyone have a photo of the underside of their car that shows the parking brake cables ? Ive got the back brakes assembled but not sure where the cables go. Its been too much time since I took them apart.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Both follow the control arms forward. The passenger one loops up over the pumpkin. There's a tab in the cable that gets a self-tapping bolt with a 13mm head into a frame hole near the rubber differential snubber. The two cables meet at an 'L' shaped piece on the driver's side. The passenger side continues through and forward. Tension is set by tightening the 13mm (wrench) fine thread lock nut. A ratcheting combination wrench is like gold when making this adjustment. If you lost this nut...I'm sorry. Last time I did that I had to go to the boneyard to find a replacement from another G-body.

Attachments

• DSCN5835.JPG
    DSCN5835.JPG
    404.5 KB · Views: 2,802
  • DSCN5830.JPG
    DSCN5830.JPG
    418.4 KB · Views: 972
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Thank you ! That's just what I needed to see ! I already pushed the end of the left cable through that hole on the frame. Now I see that the end of the right cable goes there ! I wondered why the cable was so long ! DUH !!
Its been a really long time since I took everything apart. If I cant get photos like those Im going to have a lot of extra parts left over ! LOL
Thanks again !!

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
A tip when pulling the parking brake cables out of the backing plates: use a small hose clamp around the three 'fingers'. Push it up to the plate and tighten. It pulls all three fingers in at the same time and makes you less crazy than chasing the individuals ring-around-the rosy with a screwdriver. Old guy taught me that trick 20 years ago. Now I'm that old guy.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor