Part Interchange List

Status
Not open for further replies.

dougfather

Master Mechanic
Jul 11, 2006
Altoona PA
I am new to this forum. I live in Altoona PA. It's about 2 hours east of Pittsburgh and 2 hours north of Mraylan border. A couple of questions:

1) where can I find some good body parts?

2) is there a parts interchange list between G-bodies and other GM cars? I know the doors are unique to the GP. I run into a problem when I go to shows like GM Carlisle and I can't find anything GP specific.

My plan to swp out the 231V6 with a 403 Olds V8 and THM350 transmission. The rear end is up for debate at this time.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
welcome to the forum...I have a GP as well and as far as body parts go there are it seems not as many GP's as other G bodies so the parts are harder to find. For interchangability on parts check out your local junk yard and they should have the info on what fits onto what. :D

heffamphetamine

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 31, 2006
as far as body parts go, 78-80 GP parts are 78-80 GP parts only. When the corporate body design was introduced in 81, everything changed. All body parts between 78-80 GPs will fit each other year...78-79-80. Grilles and tail lights being the only ext. differences, then in 80 the cars had wider fender opening trim. As far as interior, Pontiac interiors were exclusive, meaning only a/g body pontiac stuff will look right. and door panels changed in 80 also. other stuff may fit, but only Pontiac stuff will really look normal. Under the car, lots of GM stuff will fit, even if it's listed for Monte Carlos and not GPs. Some Camaro/Firebird stuff will fit, s10's are great places to get 3.73 rears with the 26 spline axles and non power steering steering gear. Rears from chevelles/gtos/cutlass/ will fit wit the correct upper arms, southside machine makes those i believe.
hope that helps some

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
Most of the 80 GPs had the wider profile wheel opening mouldings just like were shown in the sales brochure, but some were made with the 78-79 thinner ones. There's one on ebay now. Personally I like the thinner.
It seems the stylists start with a nice clean design then mess it up with each iteration thereafter. Like the Mustang...the original was great, then it got fatter in the late 60s.

PiZZaMaN

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 19, 2006
North Royalton, OH
hello i am new too, i have an 85 grand prix LE with a 305 and i was considering buying 3.73 gears for my rear end but those 3.73 s10 rear ends u mentioned seem like the more cost effective way to go, will they fit correctly or do they have to be modified in some way, and what year s10 do i need. thanks in advance

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
those s10 rear gears work but double check the spline. A rear from a newer s10 wont work. I believe they have more splines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor