Parts Lead: NOS 8.5 Rear

Nov 4, 2012
Saw this on FB marketplace. Not cheap but 8.5s generally aren't. Cool part for someone's project.

Screenshot_20240619-122636_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20240619-122656_Facebook.jpg

At least it's been perfectly preserved. :wtf:

Still a good deal. AS LONG as any lube is on the guts inside, at least enough to keep rust away. If there's rust in there, it'll require a teardown and rebuild for sure. And a good cleanup and paint. Already thinking new bushings, new seals, rear cover gasket, and maybe bearings if not protected. The brakes may be ok. Last I recall the brake setup comes on the complete rear ends. Not sure where this thing has been.

They could EASILY find out the details, gearing, and what it was built for if they'd bother to read the codes on the axle tube.

At least it's been perfectly preserved. :wtf:

Still a good deal. AS LONG as any lube is on the guts inside, at least enough to keep rust away. If there's rust in there, it'll require a teardown and rebuild for sure. And a good cleanup and paint. Already thinking new bushings, new seals, rear cover gasket, and maybe bearings if not protected. The brakes may be ok. Last I recall the brake setup comes on the complete rear ends. Not sure where this thing has been.

They could EASILY find out the details, gearing, and what it was built for if they'd bother to read the codes on the axle tube.

Says right in the title of the sale it's a 3.73 posi

Screenshot_20240619_162441_Facebook.jpg

1000% worth it. If it was within 500 miles I'd be on my way cash in hand.

I never knew, or thought about it, that you could buy a complete rear axle from the dealership. Also, why wouldn’t they have installed this a long time ago to get rid of the economy gears? I guess a 3:73 doesn’t really matter much with the 3.8 in front of it. Or an 8.5 for that matter.

Ah. But look at post #1. They must have found out something new. When I made my post, it was still a question mark.
It's there as well, but not in your Pic. You have to click on the title to get the entire title up when they are that long.

I never knew, or thought about it, that you could buy a complete rear axle from the dealership. Also, why wouldn’t they have installed this a long time ago to get rid of the economy gears? I guess a 3:73 doesn’t really matter much with the 3.8 in front of it. Or an 8.5 for that matter.
I heard of another person buying spare rears years ago in the 80s. I think I saw another one on the marketplace in the last 2 years.

Reactions: 1983calais
The sticker on the brake drum says 6TR which comes up as a 1984 7.625" 3.73 Posi.

Also shows signs of being installed in a car so my guess is it is a very low mile total that has been rotting for decades.

I don't see a picture that shows the bottom of the housing.
6tr.jpg

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Texas82GP

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor