People at car shows are so bias towards my 5th gen El Camino

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuggy24g

G-Body Guru
Jul 10, 2008
Newtown PA
www.myspace.com
I like going to car shows and showing off my ride. My El Camino look nice and is fun to ride and show too. Well the one thing that makes me angry is that no matter how much work I do to my El Camino most of the people do not care or even think of it has a cool ride. Then when they see a GTO or chevelle they go nuts for it. They are all foaming at the mouth and like OMG I want that. No one ever said to me that they wish they could buy my car. The only people who say they want my car are people restoring another 5th gen El Camino. It makes me angry, but I love it so that is all that counts

IMG_6205.JPG

This is my car at Carlisle this year

its just one of those things, if the same ppl encountered you on the street i'm sure they'd be impressed, and chat with you a while on your car. but in a car show environment, a good classic late 60's car will ALWAYS get attn over a g body.

I think it's partly due to being an El Camino. I have a '66 and my dad has had several '64s - '68s. People tend to love em or hate em. You can't sweat it. Car shows are just like that. I can't tell you how many times I've taken my cars to shows only to have "car guys" tell me how it should have been done or what I did wrong. Those are usually guys who payed to have their car built or don't even have a cool car at all. If you are just going to shows for the ego strokes -- you may need to reevaluate.

Hey I think I seen that car at the GM show.. Sweet car.. Tell ya the truth most people who have restored a car, or are in the middle of restoration do respect great work such as yours.. most of the people who run around gawking at cars for just what they are don't know how to truly respect a fine piece of work and understand the time and patience that goes into it. Don't Sweat the Car show people they just don't understand..

I get the same thing with my car. On the street I get compliments all the time, but at the shows - G's get no respect. However, I have noticed something. I am 36, the younger guys comliment the G's, the guys my age own the G's, and the older guys still see it as a late model and could care less. So - screw'em. Enjoy your car.

Damn! look at that 1971 Chevelle behind your car!

Haha jk, but yes people think anything built in the 80's was trash, thanks to the Yugo and all that other compact trash. There's a car show today in Whitehall Michigan at 7:00 PM and I read a flyer it said Pre 75', I was pissed.

87GrandPrix said:
Damn! look at that 1971 Chevelle behind your car!

HAHAHAHAHAHA :lol:

There is a reason for this. And that's because there are two types of car guys (or girls). The ones who like El Caminos (or the other brands equivalent), and the ones who don't.

Personally I think they are ugly, and would never buy one. But I like the g-body ones, I think all g-bodies are cool. And nice car by the way. 🙂

I guess I am a little different. I get tired of the same blue with white stripes 69 Camaro. There is at least one at every show. The Camaro, Chevelle, Mustang do nothing for me anymore. I would rather look at a 66 Fairlane. I like the cars that aren't cookie cutter builds. I also don't like teh 57 Chevy, overdone. I do like the 55's. The gbodies are starting to get more recognition because of the availability of the car, and you can interchange parts between them. Putting a GN turbo 6 drivetrain in a Malibu isn't far fetched. They will get more popular I believe.

I think Driven is right..he hit the nail on the head with his comment in every sense. I agree that most people I know either love or hate Camino's, there aren't many who just kinda like em'. And they are still common...to a small degree...I mean I still see one on the road every week or two. It is hard for all of us with our G's still being fairly common.
Also a lot of people don't really know cars, they're the ones who are impressed by seeing there Matchbox 57' chev in real life size.
Even I being the car enthusiast I am really would even slow down to take a good look at something like your Camino at a show(unless it's a very small show). It's all about the pre-war street rods to me, I've owned many G-body's so they feel much more within grasp... I'm at the shows to see and appreciate what's out of my league.

I get far more compliments on my un-restored 63' Ford Econoline Van than I have ever had received on my completely refinished 83' Cutlass.
Give it another 10 years, things will change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor