The Generic Car Show & Cruise Thread (2024 Edition)

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
New year, new thread. Don't expect much postings fow a while as only a few members have ideal weather for anything right now.

Reactions: 2 users

buick7332

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2014
N.E. Philadelphia area
New year, new thread. Don't expect much postings fow a while as only a few members have ideal weather for anything right now.
I hope 2024 is better than last year. 2023 was a big change for car shows at least in my area. (I'm between phila. & Trenton). I've been doing car shows for over 20 years with my Buick GS. I stopped taking my Grand Prix because that drew very little interest. Last year all the shows went down to 1 class, pre 1998 and post 1998. All the big winners were new cars, 2023 Corvette,2018 Mustang, New Challengers, that sort of thing. Most teams of judges were young kids in their 20's and 30's who stroll right past the old classic cars and run straight to the new ones. A lot of judges I dealt with last year never even heard of a Buick GS. How did everyone else out there do?

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Hey we got World of Wheels coming up this month
I hope 2024 is better than last year. 2023 was a big change for car shows at least in my area. (I'm between phila. & Trenton). I've been doing car shows for over 20 years with my Buick GS. I stopped taking my Grand Prix because that drew very little interest. Last year all the shows went down to 1 class, pre 1998 and post 1998. All the big winners were new cars, 2023 Corvette,2018 Mustang, New Challengers, that sort of thing. Most teams of judges were young kids in their 20's and 30's who stroll right past the old classic cars and run straight to the new ones. A lot of judges I dealt with last year never even heard of a Buick GS. How did everyone else out there do?
I never really attend judged shows for the most part so can't really say how that goes

Reactions: 1 user

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Here in southern Ontario Canada, I've seen a marked increase in attendance at car shows and cruises, since the pandemic restrictions were lifted. in 2022, most shows I got out to were more heavily attended, and in 2023, it seemed to me that attendance went even higher.
As for judging, I used to get frustrated in a similiar way to buick7332, but as time has gone on, and I've gotten older, to me, the judging deal really doesn't matter anymore. As long as I can attend, and get out and spend some time with friends and like-minded people, that's good enough for me. If I get an award, its gratifying, but to be honest, I enjoy chatting with other folks, and hearing all of the stories about the cars that are out there, and I enjoy getting out and driving my hobby cars, and getting thumbs up as I'm going down the road. With things going the way they're going, who knows how much longer we'll be able to do this? I want to be able to get my cars out and enjoy them, for as long as I can drive.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Here in southern Ontario Canada, I've seen a marked increase in attendance at car shows and cruises, since the pandemic restrictions were lifted. in 2022, most shows I got out to were more heavily attended, and in 2023, it seemed to me that attendance went even higher.
As for judging, I used to get frustrated in a similiar way to buick7332, but as time has gone on, and I've gotten older, to me, the judging deal really doesn't matter anymore. As long as I can attend, and get out and spend some time with friends and like-minded people, that's good enough for me. If I get an award, its gratifying, but to be honest, I enjoy chatting with other folks, and hearing all of the stories about the cars that are out there, and I enjoy getting out and driving my hobby cars, and getting thumbs up as I'm going down the road. With things going the way they're going, who knows how much longer we'll be able to do this? I want to be able to get my cars out and enjoy them, for as long as I can drive.
I've actually been spending time at swap meets for the same purpose - shooting the breeze with cool car guys you meet and see the once or twice a year.

Selling isn't the focus anymore. I just throw random loose stuff in and tell the wife, hey, sell any of this for whatever, and, if you're not sure the offer is cool, call my cell if I'm not nearby.

And I buy bits and pieces. Again, not usually a.need, just a 'whatever' situation.

Lots of longtimers getting out of the game though. I think the meets will die down some more on a big scale in the next 10 years. I see more younger kids again these days, but, only as buyers, not as sellers.

Reactions: 1 users

Rocknrod

All Around Good Egg
Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2024
Nothing worse. They should have a "go to the dealer and buy a trophy" class. :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Todays generation knows nothing about classics... naturally because they were around long before their time, all they know is newer mustangs, corvettes, chargers, funny little imports and other garbage on wheels.

I hit up on the "cars and coffee" here in SA, every second saturday of every month, weather permitting of course, and i take my '79 malibu, and as sweet as it in in looks, it draws very little intrest and/or attention as well, makes we want to abandon going to these shows all together because there is litterally nothing else.

Old school is out, new school is in. Fudge That

Rocknrod

All Around Good Egg
Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2024
Well I go also to the cars-n-coffee and local car shows. There are groups within a group in every organized and unorganized human get together. I noticed that. But it's not so much with age either. I see 70 year olds with new corvettes and model A's etc, etc, etc. That's kind of what I like about this hobby, there's something for just about everyone.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Yeah our Cars N Coffee while it has an abundance of new and exotics it still has a bunch of everything, we have second one called Cars N At thats more of an tuner deal but same thing has a bit of everything. I guess we are pretty lucky

Reactions: 3 users

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I went to one car show yesterday afternoon, two this morning and getting ready to head to one in a few minutes. Also one tomorrow afternoon. I am usually the only Gbody Malibu. There might be a Gran National or two, maybe a Cutlass and of course there is always an El Camino or two along with all the usual new stuff.
As far as the kids with their turbo rice burners, they are at some of the meets I go to as well. I enjoy seeing their stuff too as they are us when we were their age. The cars have changed but the passion they have are just like ours. It’s those kids that will keep the car culture alive. the generation before us I‘m sure said the same thing about us when they were driving 32’s, 40’s and 50’s cars. I like all the cars at the shows. It doesn't matter to me the make model or year. However, my favorites are the Gbody’s and some of the other GM vehicles thru the 60’s to 90’s.

Well, I’m off to another show.

Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor