People at car shows are so bias towards my 5th gen El Camino

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Side note: It's interesting that '57 Chevys were mentioned. My uncle bought his when he was 14. It is a show-quality race car (best so far is 11.47 on a single carb 327 with no power adders being shifted through a Jericho). I was working for him about 10 years ago when we he was in the middle of repainting it and doing some rear suspension mods. We were standing in the back of the shop talking about the car one night after work when he said "I don't even like '57s. I think they're ugly. I was looking for a '55 but I got a good deal on this one. Seems to be pretty popular when I put it in shows though." I just about fell over. He's had it for over 40 years and STILL doesn't like it. Go figure. :rofl:
Oldies09_33.jpg

And for the record, my '66 El Camino actually belongs to my wife. Her grandfather bought it new. Her dad inherited it and then gave it to her (us). It's butt-ugly and has over 400,000 miles on it. I use it as a tow truck. I guess I'm one of the few exceptions. I don't hate 'em but I wouldn't have gone looking for one either. It just fell in my lap.
DSC00126.jpg

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
I get far more compliments on my un-restored 63' Ford Econoline Van than I have ever had received on my completely refinished 83' Cutlass.
Give it another 10 years, things will change.

:lol:

Oddly enough, I get comments or compliments on my clunker regal once or twice a week at the gas station or at traffic lights. But the car that always got me the most comments and looks was my old 84 F250. It was a complete piece with holes in the floor and fenders that I filled with bondo and rattle canned it flat black. Personally I thought it did look pretty cool after I painted it, but I never expected people to come up and tell me they liked my truck.

People are weird... I guess you just have to do things a certain way to appeal to a niche crowd. I guess people like rat rod looking pickups here, and ghetto G-body's.

It would have looked cooler if I had screwed that 8 point buck skull I had onto the hood. I thankfully had the good sense to realize that would just look too hill billy. Unfortunately that didn't stop me from having the skull license plate on the front, and chrome bucking bronco in the hitch reciever. :lol:

Tuggy24g

G-Body Guru
Jul 10, 2008
Newtown PA
DRIVEN said:
I think it's partly due to being an El Camino. I have a '66 and my dad has had several '64s - '68s. People tend to love em or hate em. You can't sweat it. Car shows are just like that. I can't tell you how many times I've taken my cars to shows only to have "car guys" tell me how it should have been done or what I did wrong. Those are usually guys who payed to have their car built or don't even have a cool car at all. If you are just going to shows for the ego strokes -- you may need to reevaluate.

First off I do not go to car shows trying to impress anyone. I go to show off my ride and how proud of it I am. Second the point I was trying to make is that I put a lot of work in my car and if I did the same thing to let say a 69 Camaro people would go nuts for it. I mean their are people who think my car is vary nice don't get me wrong, but most of the people see it as an ok car. Nothing special no matter how fixed up it is

Capjr

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 15, 2009
United States
Hey Tuggy. dont sweat it man just enjoy your ride and screw everyone else. I am alittle older and like all types of cars trucks bikes .If they cant see your hard work and dedication Fmmmm. Hell i am even amazed with Gag some Imports . You got a NICE RIDE . :D

87GP

Greasemonkey
Jul 15, 2006
My elky isn't near as nice as yours but I think what happens at most shows is people are drawn to what's out of reach to them. You know like the exotic or impractical cars that they dream of but will never own. Along with those, they are also drawn to cars of their past. Something their families, friends, and neighbors had back in the day. When they were new 5th gens at least, I'd see an occassional choo-choo, but not many others. Hardly ever saw a 4th gen. They were rusted out pretty quick and older ones were long gone. Don't think I've ever seen a 1st gen in person and I'm 49. saw a few 2nd and 3rd gens over the years on the streets. Not show cars at the time just drivers. Now mostly only see them at shows, cruise nights, etc. But then again growing up in NYC there wasn't much of a reason for people around here to have them.

87GrandPrix

Greasemonkey
Apr 7, 2009
Michigan
Personally for me I don't like Gbody Caminos, I like the 70-71, they were pretty much a chevelle truck. As you can see in this picture.

8943644.1971.Chevrolet.El.Camino.jpg

1971Chevelle454LS5-Oct-05-01344.JPG

I Hate them damn mustangs, they are just like celeb's they are cool at first, then you get sick of seeing the damn things.

If a 64' Mustang drives by I don't even stare at it, the only ones I like are the modded ones like on Gone In 60 Seconds, or the new Roush or GT500 Ones.

-----
outsider_27 said:
I also don't like teh 57 Chevy, overdone. I do like the 55's. .

Oh, and I 100% support you on that, EVERYONE who doesn't know sh*t about cars always says that want a 57' Chevy a Mustang or a Corvette, I on the other hand like the 55' Chevy better because it has a meaner looking grill (like the 50' Buick special) where it looks like teeth gritting. I dunno its just tougher looking.

Just look at that face..

55chevy5.jpg

87GP

Greasemonkey
Jul 15, 2006
Not to be a dick...but all el caminos except the first 2 years 59 & 60 are based on chevelle/malibu.
And there weren't any 64 mustangs. They are all 65's. Yes some refer to the early ones as 64 1/2 but they are registered and were sold as 65's. The difference in what some call 64 1/2 is the engines. They still used the 170 cid 6 and the 260 V8. Later ones used the 200 six and the 289 V8.

hujass

Apprentice
Jun 24, 2008
N Dakota
The original poster's Camino is nicely done and something to be proud of. But you could roll into a car show with GNX #1 and you wouldn't get any respect from 95% of the people there. That's just how it is with g-bodies. They would probably think "What's so special about this old black Regal?" :roll:

chevy76monteman

Greasemonkey
Oct 9, 2006
Portland, Oregon, USA
I get the same thing with my 76 Monte Carlo. I can tell you that 73-77 A-bodies don't get the attention they deserve either. The only people who seem to like my car owned one like mine in the past, but that's about it. I get compliments on it by customers while I'm working or while I'm driving it, but when I'm at shows there aren't many people that give it a second glance. Its all about the 72 and older cars to most people. That's what makes me want to keep my car and finish restoring it. That's what makes me take my car to the drag strip and race it. I'm out to prove that my car is worthy of getting attention. Its the same with 78-88 G-bodies.

I miss my 86 Grand Prix. I wish I still had it and didn't total it. I had plans for it and will own another one someday.

Joel86Cutlass

Apprentice
Jan 14, 2009
Pennsylvania
It's the same way at car shows with my 86 Cutlass Supreme, at least in my area anyway. People don't understand that the Olds Cutlass is hard to find in show quality form. Thanks to the north east winters most of these cars are gone not just the Cutlass's but all g body cars. That is why I spend so much time on my Cutlass and that's why I just bought a 84 Cutlass to restore. I am a die hard Olds guy and I don't want to see these cars disappear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor