Pics of my Cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunter_alexander

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2008
Erie Pa
Still need to find the correct interior upholstery to redo the seats and get some other trim pieces installed.

Car isnt 100% yet. Like I said, lots of detail work to do. But its getting there.

Not happy with the 350 in it. Going to throw the 403 into it. Just not fast enough.

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
Great job. Nice website. I like the drag radials they give it a more serious look. What size tires do you have on it? Have you made a test & tune pass yet? As you know the power is in the heads. Not a race port just a street strip port done by an Olds vendor/experienced porter flowed with a custom cam made to compliment the heads and you will have a great runner useing the 350 or the 403. What is cool as I am sure you already know is that if you use the right 350 heads they could be used on either motor. For the street I would use the 403 as you gain torque which helps due to the weight of the car. The 403 will also make more power in a lower more useable rpm range so even if it wasn't faster it would be more fun to drive.

I don't know what you have done to the heads so far and I know I am talking spending some money but at this point it is the end result. When you are real proud of not only the way it runs but performs and just can't wipe the smile off your face you will say it was some of the best money spent.

I'm not referring to you but it kills me how many guys work hard spend what they have take pride in restoreing & building up a car. They buy a new carb, distributor, ignition, etc etc that they don't need and then don't spend enough money on the heads and are disapointed in how it performs. You know they have a 3" exhaust, loud flowmasters, lopin cam and the thing runs a disapointing low 14 and so they never enjoy driveing it like they envisioned and they don't know whats wrong. They end up shuttleing it to car shows spending their time trying to rub out the scuffs the kids put on it while draging a carboard box on the trunk.

Deck the block to get good quench and a true 10-1. Get best rocker ratio and a good enough port job & valve job to take full advantage of a say 230@50 duration cam. You will love the way your car runs & performs short of that you will probably only be somewhat satisfied with her.

Sorry for the rant. I am not referring to your car just in general. You have done a great job Craig she is first rate.

willitell

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 26, 2007
Your car came out beautifully, Craig.

Good Job!

hunter_alexander

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2008
Erie Pa
Thanks. Yes, I have a set of 1972 7A heads that will be worked over for the 403. The 350 is basically a stock 1969 motor, picked it up for 80 bucks, did a few things to it, and threw it in.

Im hoping to just blow it up running it, which will give me even more of a reason to get the 403 done. :twisted:

Overall I am happy with the car. Just have some bugs to work out. But it will get there. Just takes time.

Havent had a track close to me open yet to see what it will do. Im figuring low 14's. But that will change. I would like to run it as is, do some tuning, and see what happens, then drop the 403 in it, see what it does etc.

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
Well don't blow it up just for fun or frustration. This way you can drive the car while you build the 403. Even then its better to have a back up to stick in just in case something happens to the 403. You said the 350 was in good shape with less than 100k. With a new oil pump & timeing chain assuming you checked the rings for compression and the bearings for wear and keep the oil changed it should go another 100k.

jae

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2006
Great job on the frame-off rebuild and awesome site. I like the detailed pics the best, many people don't go to that great length to show the little odds and ends. It gives great details of where lines are run, where the hangers are located, how the frame actually looks. Though I'm not to crazy about the paint and the wheels, she's a fine ride. :D

I did notice that it looks like you're are running a later Q-Jet, probably from either the 442 or the original 307 (am I correct). This may be a problem that was / is causing your tunability issues. Since the later carbs have two plug-ins (m/c solenoid and tps I believe) for the ecm, and you said you weren't running an ecm, they aren't getting any ref signals. This can effect idle and throttle tip-in. Also I noticed the vacuum ports not plugged capped, another area that causes tuning / drivability issues.

And as Vern said, if you do a little cleanup work on the heads for the 350 it'll wake it up. I have the same heads, the 7A. Granted these aren't the 5A heads from the W31 but they are really good, just having the 1.88 intake, but a good 1.63 exhaust and the small chamber. A Performer RPM intake will add a little bit as well. Any particular reason you want to go to the 403?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor