plastic panel repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

emoney87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 9, 2010
does anyone know how to repair cracks or scratches in trim panels or a product that can be used to do so?

565bbchevy

Geezer
G-Body of the Month
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I used a product called Plastic Weld, I think it is made by Permatex . There are other similar products out there. This is a 2 part epoxy I used it to fill all my misc. holes in my plastic wheelwells and on the bigger holes I just siliconed a plastic piece behind hit and then filled it in with the epoxy. You would never know by looking at it there were any holes.
It would probably fill a scratch the same way but a crack would take more prep work and you would want to add support from the backside. I don't know if it will work in your application but for me it adhered well and sanded down like it was part of the original plastic.
It's best to start out by finding out exactly what kind of plastic you are trying to repair(abs,pp, etc.) sometimes there are letters molded in the part that tell what kind it is. And then make sure the product you buy is compatible.

emoney87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 9, 2010
thanks for the info i'll have to check that stuff out n see if it will work, i think i got a few old pieces to test on

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor