Please help me on brake conversion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
beautiful work. I prefer not having a vac pump , maybe a canister if needed.
Thanks for the compliment, with a 750 lift cam I need some sort of vacuum assist for brakes, on my Regal I just have a canister for extra reserve.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
565BBChevvy makes a good point about having that vacuum canister. Your low pedal could just possibly be a case of insufficient vacuum. Have you taken any opportunity to put a vacuum gauge on the port that feeds your booster and noted how much vacuum the engine is generating at idle? it would also be useful to rig a long delivery hose and tap into that vacuum line to set up a remote gauge in the cabin on a temporary basis to see what you get when driving .

As for the cost of the proportioning valve spool stop, it's cost depends on from whom you source it. Getting it from someone like Summit or similar might be cheaper than dealing for it with a Speed Shop. You mentioned ordering it which I take to mean that you may have gone on line and scored it off the internet. Location, location, location.

Nick

Gnfanatic

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2020
565BBChevvy makes a good point about having that vacuum canister. Your low pedal could just possibly be a case of insufficient vacuum. Have you taken any opportunity to put a vacuum gauge on the port that feeds your booster and noted how much vacuum the engine is generating at idle? it would also be useful to rig a long delivery hose and tap into that vacuum line to set up a remote gauge in the cabin on a temporary basis to see what you get when driving .

As for the cost of the proportioning valve spool stop, it's cost depends on from whom you source it. Getting it from someone like Summit or similar might be cheaper than dealing for it with a Speed Shop. You mentioned ordering it which I take to mean that you may have gone on line and scored it off the internet. Location, location, location.

Nick
Nick, I get 17 psi of vac at the port.

Gnfanatic

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2020
For the hell of it my friend at the part store gave me a gbody booster to try. Did not fix anything, same issue.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
GN/GNX guys, is the brake pedal rod for the hydroboost setup in the same location as the vacuum brakes?

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
No it is not, vac brakes have a diff pedal which must be used for conversion.
I'm asking because manual brakes have an attaching point for the rod closer to the pedal pivot. The result is shorter throw on the MC and a longer lever for easier brake pedal pushing. If your pin is in the upper hole on the pedal, then it will result in exactly what you're experiencing. That was the reason for my question. I have an '86 Regal 8' from me that I could look at haha.

Reactions: 1 user

Gnfanatic

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2020
I'm asking because manual brakes have an attaching point for the rod closer to the pedal pivot. The result is shorter throw on the MC and a longer lever for easier brake pedal pushing. If your pin is in the upper hole on the pedal, then it will result in exactly what you're experiencing. That was the reason for my question. I have an '86 Regal 8' from me that I could look at haha.
Hey. I just checked. My pivot is on the bottom and there is a hole right above it. SO I am almost positive I have the right brake pedal. Ignore the rod, I know it is not full seated :)

Attachments

• pedal.jpg
    pedal.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 70

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Hey. I just checked. My pivot is on the bottom and there is a hole right above it. SO I am almost positive I have the right brake pedal. Ignore the rod, I know it is not full seated :)
I can't tell in that pic. But if you have two holes, then you need the lower one (I'm 90% on that). I converted to manual brakes and had to move it to the upper hole in the pedal. And I've redrilled a couple for manual brake conversions on ...... Fords (don't tell anyone about the F word.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor