Polishing non-chrome metal trim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geesie

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego
My Regal has the vinyl half-roof. The trim piece that goes over the top at the front of the vinyl is pretty cloudy. I thought it was aluminum, so I got some aluminum polish for it. It got briefly shiny, but I could watch it cloud up and match the unpolished section within 10 seconds.

Also, the shiny pieces at the bottom of the doors (rocker panels, I think?) doesn't respond to brasso or aluminum polish.

What are some other methods/substances I could use to get the non-chrome metal trim pieces shiny again?

83cut350chev

Greasemonkey
Jan 2, 2007
Churchville, PA
i had the same problem. i got aluminum polish and you really just have to keep polishing it

Geesie

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego
Would 1000 grit sandpaper work too?

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
1k grit might work but i'd wet sand it and do a test patch. you might need something finer. i always used brasso on any metal, unless it had a "clear coat" on it.

fodoimp

Master Mechanic
Oct 8, 2006
Southern New Jersey
they are anodized and unless you strip it off and polish it you are not going to get them really shiny. I use easy off oven cleaner as long as it has lye in it. That takes off the anodizing and then I use 1500 wet and smooth it out and then buff it on my bench polisher. Obviously it has to be done off of the car and its a ton of work. The other problem you run into is the fact that polished anything exposed to the elements dulls up fast. So whenever I polish aluminum I use Zoops seal on it so it lasts longer. You can get that stuff from Summit ZSP-9550. It's expensive but it works great. The best way if you want a show winning finish is to remove it all and send it out to a pro. You have to be careful with the lye because if unattended or on the piece to long it will eat up the trim.

andrewmp6

Master Mechanic
Sep 9, 2007
Fodoimp is right if its anodized you'll get no where with it.But once its off you can polish it to look just like chrome i use never dull and mothers mag and alum polish on everything almost both can bring a shine to any metal.Zoops seal is worth the money and prep to use it.It can last 6 months to a year depending on where you live.

fodoimp

Master Mechanic
Oct 8, 2006
Southern New Jersey
gliptone metal polish blows never dull away and everything else Ive ever tried and I have tried them all. Its the same basic idea as nevr dull (treated cotton) but they have it in 3 or 4 stages and if you take the time and follow the stages you will have an unbelievable shine

andrewmp6

Master Mechanic
Sep 9, 2007
Guess ill give that one a try i like never dull walmart sells it and its never let me down yet.But i always go over it with mothers mag and alum to get that chrome like shine to come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor