Poly body bushing ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

6togo

Apprentice
Apr 25, 2013
Getting ready to sit the body on the frame tomorrow finally and thought i read somewhere that i should grease or neversieze the bushings before the install so they dont make any noise is that correct if so do i lube all the lays?

oldtinsmith

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan
IMHO, you should lube them with a poly-specific bushing grease or a good synthetic grease and anti-seize the bolt threads. Maybe check with the manufacturer of the bushings.

Doug

mheath717

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2008
Florida
Im not sure... But I just installed a set of energy suspension body bushings and new bolts about a month ago... I didn't lubricate the bushings in any way.. I have driven the car on a couple trips since then, and have no squeak issues of any kind.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
If you mean the body mount bushings, do not lube them. I would put antisezie on the bolt threads but the bushings should be installed dry.

Fox80

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Jamestown NY
When I did mine I bought an 8oz tub of the silicone grease from energy suspension, and greased the hell out of them. We had a couple cars squeak bad when I was still in the garage doing this stuff, we started lubing them and never had a problem

6togo

Apprentice
Apr 25, 2013
I have poly specific lube which is syn. but i see there is mixed thoughts of whether or not to lube them! My thoughts are the lube would let them slip around some where they are sandwiched in between the washers and the directions that come with them are generic that dont say anything about lubing them! I plan to anti-seize the bolt no doubt!
Yes i'm talking about the body mount bushings!

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I did not run a garage so take my advice with a grain of salt. You painted the frame already? Silicone will mess up future paint in that area without a thorough de-greasing.
Suspension bushings pivot, and will often squeak if you don't lube them. Body mounts, on the other hand, are fairly static. However, once the 1600 lb body is on there, it's hard to change your mind later, so, put a light brushing of silicone lube on the metal-to-poly surfaces. Keep it off the outside surfaces, or they'll collect dust and dirt...

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I installed my body bushings dry. Just applied a helping of anti- seize to the bolts. However, I have lubed the urethane control arm bushings.

6togo

Apprentice
Apr 25, 2013
Frame is powder coated and the under body has been stripped epoxy primed and coated with Monstaliner!

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Monsta-excellent! My car is fairly rust-free, so I am skipping the body-off for the moment. If you think I'm gloating, most of my plastic interior panels and dash have to be replaced because they have crumbled in the Southwest sunshine...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor