Pontiac 400 in a Grand Prix 2+2, just a few questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

86GP2+2

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 6, 2015
Louisville, KY
I just tried putting Firebird headers in my T-Type with a 455 SD and the passenger side hits the lower control arm bracket and the driver side hits the firewall a little. I bought the Flowtechs so maybe that's the problem. Thinking of cutting the tubes and move them a little. Wont take much to maje them fit. Anyone else gotten further than this?

That's funny, those are the headers I have and was wondering the same thing. I am going with a set of Mad Dog Headers probably, these headers are bad enough to do once.

86GP2+2

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 6, 2015
Louisville, KY
I ordered a set of the Mad Dog Headers. I'm going to paint them with VHT and then wrap them. Also, I found out the perches I have are the shorter ones, so I should be good. Anyone think the stock style motor mount will be ok or should I get polyurethane?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I've never had a problem with the rubber motor mounts even with a manual transmission. BUT- here is what I do. I bolt a short length of chain from a head bolt stud, to the A-arm stud, just on the driver's side. Keep it loose enough so the motor's vibrations won't travel down the chain and sound off from the frame. But do keep it short enough so when the motor loads and tries to rotate over to the passenger side, the chain stops it. That saves the motor mount from getting ripped apart by a healthy motor. That is an ancient hot rodder's trick from the 50's and it really works.
TorqueStrap006.jpg

Last edited:

tdvick

Master Mechanic
Jun 25, 2010
Elk River, Mn.
I'm interested to see how the headers fit for you. I had mine high temp powder coated. I haven't pulled them out of the bags yet. I see they updated the pricing on their website too. Less confusing now.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

86GP2+2

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 6, 2015
Louisville, KY
I just remembered, I need inner fenders. Anyone know where I can find any for this? It seems not all g-bodys had the same ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor