Pontiac Holy Grail for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
dave chappelle drugs GIF

This will be the buyer at that price cause you'll have to be high like him to drop that kind of cash.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
dave chappelle drugs GIF

This will be the buyer at that price cause you'll have to be high like him to drop that kind of cash.
Just wait for a few more months. Soon that $175k will buy you a couple loaves of bread, if the 'supply chain issues' (because it certainly cannot be the ignoramuses in all levels of power responsible) allow it

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I heard on the news that Big Oil just reported record breaking profits for the month of June. All the while complaining that it was their crude oil costs that made them charge us $5 a gallon. Hmmmm.........:rant:

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I heard on the news that Big Oil just reported record breaking profits for the month of June. All the while complaining that it was their crude oil costs that made them charge us $5 a gallon. Hmmmm.........:rant:
Well, why shouldn't they though? It's ROI.

Abstract numbers, if I expect a 20% return on money I invest:

if I pay $1/gal I want $1.20 back. I process 1 million gallons, I make $1.2mil for a $200k profit.

If I pay $4/gal I want $4.80 back. I process 1 million gallons, I make $4.8mil for a $800k profit.

As a business, should you chop your profit margin just because the amount you need to spend to create a product goes up? Not if you want to be a business for long.

Don't buy into the propaganda the senile dottering fool's handlers are putting out.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Agreed. But what if instead of being happy with your 20% profit you take advantage of a situation and net a 50% profit? Not because of hard work on your part but rather because of unscrupulous practices that you hope won't come to light and expose your greed. Think of that "Pharma dude" guy that bought up the patents on some medication and promptly jacked the price up 800%. Legal? Maybe. Shameful? For sure. But isn't that the "American way"?

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Agreed. But what if instead of being happy with your 20% profit you take advantage of a situation and net a 50% profit? Not because of hard work on your part but rather because of unscrupulous practices that you hope won't come to light and expose your greed. Think of that "Pharma dude" guy that bought up the patents on some medication and promptly jacked the price up 800%. Legal? Maybe. Shameful? For sure. But isn't that the "American way"?
If anyone could prove that with real documents I'd be interested in seeing it.

However, I tend to think rationally: materials inputs, spare parts, labor costs, transportation costs, all of that is drastically up across the board for every business. Is it that hard to believe the oil/gas sector is the same?

Or are they magically exempt from the effects somehow?

I find it funny how much heat they take. Food costs are up an even higher way than gas/oil. And there's plenty of giants in that industry who control multiple steps in their supply chain making huge profits. But it hasn't been politically expedient (yet) to try to create claims against them the way it has for the oil/gas sector. Why? Because from day one the powers that be didn't declare "I'm going to destroy the agriculture industry, we will put them out off business" and proceed to take a whole slate of regulatory and exec order changes in effect and try to drive it under while prices rose.

But, that's just my take/theory, worth even less than you paid for it

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Well, why shouldn't they though? It's ROI.

Abstract numbers, if I expect a 20% return on money I invest:

if I pay $1/gal I want $1.20 back. I process 1 million gallons, I make $1.2mil for a $200k profit.

If I pay $4/gal I want $4.80 back. I process 1 million gallons, I make $4.8mil for a $800k profit.

As a business, should you chop your profit margin just because the amount you need to spend to create a product goes up? Not if you want to be a business for long.

Don't buy into the propaganda the senile dottering fool's handlers are putting out.
The idea of what’s a ethical business practice vs. unethical.

I refer to this is as ‘the fix is in’ . Demand is down, the price is up and there is no lack of supply. It who pays and who profits. Any justification like justifying beating your wife.

I don’t mean any disrespect ck, but if they make the koolaid better tasting doesn’t mean I have to like drinking it.

Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
The idea of what’s a ethical business practice vs. unethical.

I refer to this is as ‘the fix is in’ . Demand is down, the price is up and there is no lack of supply. It who pays and who profits. Any justification like justifying beating your wife.
I don't pretend to know all the ins and outs of their business. I do remember some basics from when we did a case study in some graduate coursework on port shipping and operations when we touched on crude oil tankers.

They do a screwy shuffle though. Back then at least. The business model wasn't one saying ok, I refined midwest usa product in Louisiana, let's ship that through the US ( although some is sold like that.)

The model, back then, was ok, lets ship the US product to china, and ship africa/middle east oil to the US. Then we split the transit cost so that we don't have to charge the full cost of the Africa/middle east oil shipping to the Chinese.

Screwy right? But, it creates a stable price structure worldwide. Back before Chavez/sanctions they'd ship Venezuela oil here to be refined/consumed here, and, our oil to europe as export to be consumed there. That way the Venezuela oil wasn't as expensive to the next consumer in Europe, making us pay more, and Europe pay less, while shortening the amount of transit time each shipment took to get to its net consumer. Shortening each supply chain and spreading the costs around.

They called it efficiency. I always thought it was BS making us effective subsidize oil for other parts of the world.
I don’t mean any disrespect ck,
None taken.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor