Pontiac Snowflake wheel differences

Status
Not open for further replies.

383_GrandPrix

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2016
Quebec, Canada
I found a 5/16" spacer works well to keep the rim from contacting, the only thing is that you should put longer studs in the rotors to compensate for the 5/16" of thread you loose. Also to make sure you know; the snowflake rims use shank style lugnuts and not the 60° acorn style lugnuts that are factory on our cars

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I think it was prudent on your part to go with 15's instead of 14's. More tire options with 15's. Any way you decide to finish the wheels should look cool.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
IMG_4709.JPG

Reactions: 3 users

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
I think it was prudent on your part to go with 15's instead of 14's. More tire options with 15's. Any way you decide to finish the wheels should look cool.

Thanks, I think so too after thinking about it more. When I re-finished the 14" checker wheels I had two choices for 14" RWL tires, Cooper Cobra's or BFG Radial TA's. The TA's are what I wanted and were/are over $100 per tire, kind of crazy for a 14" tire but they know they have the market cornered I guess.

Plan to do RWL but time to think about it, the GP with blackwalls above looks really good color keyed. I could try to be real classy and have whitewall's :D .

Reactions: 1 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
On my '83 Bonnewagon I found that the 15x7 snowflakes hit the outer lip of the lower control arm. It gouged the rim severely. That caused me to use the aformentioned spacers. I also put in longer lugs in m12x1.50 thread. I was able to find Pontiac style snowflake lug nuts in that same metric thread. I also needed spacers on the rear wheels. After a while I gave up and went back to the Ralley II's.

Reactions: 1 user

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
On my '83 Bonnewagon I found that the 15x7 snowflakes hit the outer lip of the lower control arm. It gouged the rim severely. That caused me to use the aformentioned spacers. I also put in longer lugs in m12x1.50 thread. I was able to find Pontiac style snowflake lug nuts in that same metric thread. I also needed spacers on the rear wheels. After a while I gave up and went back to the Ralley II's.

Outer lip on turns or at all times? I didn't see that interfering when test fitting but the wheel was straight. I'll give it another test, once the wagon actually arrives too in case the modified suspension on my LS even though stock locations of things, has any affect.

Now to find correct g-body center caps or at least the red/Pontiac inserts. Anyone with these have a source? The TA ones are everywhere, not a huge deal but thinking I'd like to have them be "g-body correct".

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I'm not sure when they rubbed. It may even be during the up/down articulation of the suspension. All I know is they gouged a line completely around the inside lip of the rims. Spacers cured it, which required longer wheel studs, which required special metric snowflake nuts. But the snowflakes DO look really nice on our cars. A nice touch is painting the inner cavities body color.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor