Pontiac Special Edition LeMans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

79Lemans

Greasemonkey
Oct 23, 2015
Michigan
Hey All, a while back ago I remember someone telling me they had a Special Edition LeMans Offered by Pontiac at the time Called "Sport Coupe As like the 73-77 Colonnades instead for 1979. (I think)
I don't remember i had pictures he sent some to my email. I would love to get in touch with that person again...

Btw Post about any other Rumored Special Editions.

Last edited:

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
The only special edition I can remember from '79 was the SPRINT option. You got a 301 engine with a Saginaw 4 speed w/floor shifter. I only saw one and it was because there was a multi-colored decal on the lower front fender. I can't remember any special styling changes as I was so drop-jawed about the 4 speed.

Reactions: 1 user

79Lemans

Greasemonkey
Oct 23, 2015
Michigan
The only special edition I can remember from '79 was the SPRINT option. You got a 301 engine with a Saginaw 4 speed w/floor shifter. I only saw one and it was because there was a multi-colored decal on the lower front fender. I can't remember any special styling changes as I was so drop-jawed about the 4 speed.

Didn't know about that one! I know there was also a Grand Am Special Edtion. I have the News Article of it from eBay I bought.
That's so cool a 301 engine, I wonder if they came Turboed optional too? I remember the Trans Am had Optional 301 Tubroed
Personally, I prefer 3spd manuals. :D

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
If you like 3 speed manuals you would love the 1967 Borg-Warner T-16 I saved from a '67 Firebird 400. Bullet-proof, and a second gear you tend to stay in all day long. The Turbo 301 was in '80 and '81 but I have never seen one in anything but a Firebird. I have seen the early Turbo Buick V-6 in Monte Carlos.

• In Love
Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
You know a turbo 301 in a Lemans, Grand Am or Grand Prix could of been a nice "sport/performance" set up. I wonder on a "what if" if the hood would looked good like the Firbirds turbo hood, the Regal/Century or if it would of/could of been the same as the Monte. A Grand Am with that 301, an improved T50, 3.23 posi, F41 with GP bar, buckets with a console to work with the T50, full gauges...
I need to win the lottery.

Reactions: 3 users

BuickOldsPontiac

Master Mechanic
Oct 14, 2011
Sterling Heights, MI
You know a turbo 301 in a Lemans, Grand Am or Grand Prix could of been a nice "sport/performance" set up. I wonder on a "what if" if the hood would looked good like the Firbirds turbo hood, the Regal/Century or if it would of/could of been the same as the Monte. A Grand Am with that 301, an improved T50, 3.23 posi, F41 with GP bar, buckets with a console to work with the T50, full gauges...
I need to win the lottery.

The idea of a turbo 301 in a G-body, is something that has sat in the back of mind as an interesting project.

Reactions: 1 users

79Lemans

Greasemonkey
Oct 23, 2015
Michigan
If you like 3 speed manuals you would love the 1967 Borg-Warner T-16 I saved from a '67 Firebird 400. Bullet-proof, and a second gear you tend to stay in all day long. The Turbo 301 was in '80 and '81 but I have never seen one in anything but a Firebird. I have seen the early Turbo Buick V-6 in Monte Carlos.

Wow, That's cruising in 2nd! I tend to only do the Speed these vehicles were made for 55-65. Tops.
Maybe it was a Firebird then, the guy with the ad said Trans-Am. I know nothing about them except the 78-81 LeMans.

I have never seen an early Turbo v6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor