Posi rear end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
That is a crap shoot. The rear, might be first. You could upgrade to a Trutrac and girdle cover. Then the 4L60E will die first.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I dunno, I'd probably vote that a used 4l60e, that was in a fbody that was probably beat on extensively before you got jt, would be the first to go of that pair.

Guess it depends on what you do to beat on it.

Reactions: 1 user

JD1964

Master Mechanic
Dec 31, 2014
I dunno, I'd probably vote that a used 4l60e, that was in a fbody that was probably beat on extensively before you got jt, would be the first to go of that pair.
The donor Fbody had 120k on the ticker so that’s what’s on the engine for sure. Seller claimed at the time we bought it the transmission had been rebuilt shortly before the car was taken off the road. I confirmed this true by finding the rebuild date and mechanics initials written on the bell housing. The trans works great.

We paid $1000 for the car, took what we wanted and made $1200 selling remaining parts. Sold the 3.23 posi too but now I wish I would have kept that. I could have used that diff and gears in beefing up one of the other 7.5’s we have.

Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
The donor Fbody had 120k on the ticker so that’s what’s on the engine for sure. Seller claimed at the time we bought it the transmission had been rebuilt shortly before the car was taken off the road. I confirmed this true by finding the rebuild date and mechanics initials written on the bell housing. The trans works great.

We paid $1000 for the car, took what we wanted and made $1200 selling remaining parts. Sold the 3.23 posi too but now I wish I would have kept that. I could have used that diff and gears in beefing up one of the other 7.5’s we have.
Of course, it's still a 4l60... they work great until.... BOOM.

Dont suppose they gave you a receipt with any idea if it was a stockish rebuild or extensively upgraded, that and what the depth of knowledge of the rebuilding shop was by its reputation?

I'm still weary of a 4l60 trying to do much more than act as a paperwight.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
4L60's are not junk until you try to turn up the wick under the hood. 300-350hp is fine on ne if it's built properly.

Your rear is what it is. Rebuild the posi with new clutches and get the setup SPOT on and it will live longer than that 4L60 IMHO.

Nice score on the rear and it's great to see some miles on the ride. I'll admit there is not much of anything better than heading out for a road trip and having success.

sls1025 deserves a smile as well. It's nice to see people treating people like people.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

JD1964

Master Mechanic
Dec 31, 2014
Of course, it's still a 4l60... they work great until.... BOOM.

Dont suppose they gave you a receipt with any idea if it was a stockish rebuild or extensively upgraded, that and what the depth of knowledge of the rebuilding shop was by its reputation?

I'm still weary of a 4l60 trying to do much more than act as a paperwight.
Nope, no specific details on the rebuild. Only word of mouth that the dude was aware of the 4L60e weaknesses and had done things to improve it

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor