Posi traction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliCuttie

Apprentice
Jun 10, 2009
San Francisco, CA
I've noticed that in my quest for a Cutlass supreme that one of things I look for is posi traction. Now I know what posi traction is, and what its practical benefits are. But is this something I really need, or should be trippin about?
Aside from maybe fishtailing, is there any aspect of posi traction that is ideal as far as performance goes? I grew up in a muscle car household, and of course posi traction is part of what makes a muscle car. So what is the deal anyway?

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
Well 2 tires spinning are better than 1 right>>>>??? better traction obviously.

CaliCuttie

Apprentice
Jun 10, 2009
San Francisco, CA
84GP455 said:
Well 2 tires spinning are better than 1 right>>>>???
you would think so right? but the thing is I live in northern california, so ice and mud really isn't something we worry about.
obviously i'm siding with having posi, but if its something that i don't need/don't really notice then why fret, ya know?

82355supreme

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Yea, without it a V8 will do a nice one tire fire smoke show. And as you look like a tool spinning one wheel, that 100 HP Honda Civic wastes your *ss from the stoplight.

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
CaliCuttie said:
84GP455 said:
Well 2 tires spinning are better than 1 right>>>>???
you would think so right? but the thing is I live in northern california, so ice and mud really isn't something we worry about.
obviously i'm siding with having posi, but if its something that i don't need/don't really notice then why fret, ya know?
Well if you don't have a powerful motor it doesn't matter, but when you start getting up there in horsepower you can spin the tires more easily especially with only one tire spinning thus giving you less traction. It has nothing to do with living in California!

CaliCuttie

Apprentice
Jun 10, 2009
San Francisco, CA
82355supreme said:
Yea, without it a V8 will do a nice one tire fire smoke show. And as you look like a tool spinning one wheel, that 100 HP Honda Civic wastes your *ss from the stoplight.
posi it is. point well made, good sir. thanks!

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
It is nice to have, but the primary things you should look for in a G body are a solid, rust free body and frame and a good interior. The engine will be junk (unless it's a intercooled turbo), and the gearing will be crap in all but a select few rare models. Focus on body condition and interior condition when finding a suitable car as the rest will need changing anyhow. Plus, even if you do get a posi rear, the gearing will suck unless it is a performance model, and the rear axle will be a 7.5, which can't take much abuse.

Also, unless you have a GN, or an SS, you will lose to just about any 4 banger 90's subcompact from Japan that has a manual transmission. My stock V6 took 21 seconds to hit 60 while my automatic 1.6 liter Sentra took 12. Just remember that these cars are great starting points, but need a lot of work to really be musclecars.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
It is nice to have, but the primary things you should look for in a G body are a solid, rust free body and frame and a good interior. The engine will be junk (unless it's a intercooled turbo), and the gearing will be crap in all but a select few rare models. Focus on body condition and interior condition when finding a suitable car as the rest will need changing anyhow. Plus, even if you do get a posi rear, the gearing will suck unless it is a performance model, and the rear axle will be a 7.5, which can't take much abuse.

Also, unless you have a GN, or an SS, you will lose to just about any 4 banger 90's subcompact from Japan that has a manual transmission. My stock V6 took 21 seconds to hit 60 while my automatic 1.6 liter Sentra took 12. Just remember that these cars are great starting points, but need a lot of work to really be musclecars.
Couldn't have said it better.

monte olrac

G-Body Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Wichita damn Falls Tx.
posi is always easy to get, so I would focus on a better body. But i got beat by a mustang when i had one wheel peel action, and he barely won...but my start looked spectacular lots of smoke and one hell of a black mark lol

gs dewd

Greasemonkey
May 25, 2008
Crimora, Va
85 Cutlass Brougham said:

You can probably buy a posi unit a gears cheaper then the price somone will tax on to a factory posi car. Finding a reg cutlass with a posi rear from the factory will be difficult most that had posi from factory where 442's or h/o's. So like was said before look for a car ith a good body and interior then add what you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor