Possible brake upgrade from McGaughy's

Status
Not open for further replies.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
I only refer to it as "cobbled together" due to the fact that if they go out of business where do you find replacement parts 20 years from now ?

For the same $$ and using a set of $100- $130 brackets you can use Z06 / C5 / C6 brakes on those spindles and use all factory GM parts which will be avail 30-50 years from now.

Not knocking the kit at all. It looks Great !! Just a personal preference to utilize factory gm stuffs where I can.

Reactions: 1 user

rogue_ryder

Master Mechanic
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Drilled rotors are actually mostly just a fashion statement, and under heavy abuse they are prone to cracking. Blank rotors with good brake pads are a top performer.

Not only that, but they are NOISY on the street. I had an old Grand Cherokee that was prone to rotor "Warping"; the cure was the cross drilled rotors (warping is actually pad material transferring to the rotor due to extreme heat) but they were noticeably louder than normal rotors. That application is the only time I've seen the cross drilled rotors be worthwhile and even then my usage of that vehicle fell into the extreme duty category (lots of mountain driving and towing). Motorcycles commonly use cross drilled rotors and in that application they work without issue although it may be more for a weight savings (cutting down on unsprung rotational weight greatly improves acceleration).

I've seen the cracks in cross drilled rotors at the track (road course) and it's scary to see, but I've never actual seen one catastrophically fail. The best rotors I've seen for severe duty have been Brembo (just plain Jane regular vented rotors) and Centric.

I would not waste my money on this McGaugheys setup.

Reactions: 1 user

Steveshow

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 13, 2015
I have decided to go a cheaper route and do the blazer brake upgrade.

Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Im currently doing a frame off. While installing my new Ride coilovers, I also swapped to Blazer spindels. I was actually able to find plain Jane replacement rotors from Brembo on a big discount from RockAuto. They look no different than stock Chinese rotors, but it's been a two year process, still not quite done, and they don't have a specific of rust on them even though I cleaned them of the oil when I installed them and with temp fluctuations and sweating... Higher quality metal means a lot

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor