Possible Father/Daughter project, My 88 Olds Cutlass Supreme Classic Brougham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I didn't teach my girls enough. I did show them the basics recently. I basically, with Mom's help to learn from my Dad with Capentry. I didn't even know Dad knew anything about cars, he actually did know a bit, more about farm equipment. I think he probably did the same with his Father, kind of followed along My Grandfather was a very patient, almost never swore or lost his temper, Master Carpenter from Scotland. He was tall, lanky, very proper, soft spoken man. I spent time with my girls, I just didn't show them enough about cars.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Well, holy sh*t I can also load pics now through Chrome! Threw in a pic of the tiny dual exhaust on this car.
20190119_171023.jpg
20190215_132315.jpg
20190119_171256.jpg
20190119_170948.jpg
20190113_142636.jpg
20190113_142610.jpg
20190113_142604.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
May as well keep body work on this thread, serpentine conversion and exhaust on the other. I will put up pics of my tinning on the driver's side quarter, don't expect Donovan quality or precision. I used Plastikote/Loctite rust neutrilizer then Rust Destroyer primer under the aluminum. Supposed to neutralize and stop rust for 5 years and good till 800 degrees. I used similar thin aluminum behind both doors and you had to look very close to see it, the same treatment, grinding the screw heads nearly flush then Evercoat metal reinforced filler around it this time instead of cheap Bondo.

Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Well I am making some progress on body work, more pics in the near future. I need a compressor, my little one is toast and my big one is noisy and only builds 40 psi. I could go with a loud cheap one but would rather not. This one is supposed to be 41 DB at 3 feet! My old one is double that and moves way more air. I plan on doing like Ken and a desiccant just before either gun, 2.1 for primer and 1.8 for paint HVLP gravity feed guns.
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/emax-hulk-by-2hp-20-gal-silent-air-portable-compressor/1001128643

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Well I am going to push like hell to get it painted by Thursday, wish me luck.

• Optimistic
Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Well, I learned a lot. First the new compressor is awesome, so quiet and powerful. Second the Princess Auto Pro Point guns live up to reviews, very nice for the cheap price, any issues were product or user error. I am surprised how controllable HVLP guns are and how little overspray there was. I need to get a roof on the 10 x 24 space beside the shop, I barely had space to paint the 88. Third rushing this I went Duplicolor Paint Shop. This stuff is not cheap but forgiving being a Lacquer. Expect 6 cans of primer and 6 to 8 cans of paint, I bought 4 cans of primer which barely covered. Also 4 cans of paint, enough to cover one side properly. It looked OK till one spot sagged, pretty sure I didn't touch it. Their Molten Red Metallic is a nice Cherry Red, darker than I thought. I didn't get any tiger striping which is nice. Also I will get the machine to shake it next time to finish this. The paint wasn't bad but the primer had many chunks in it, probably all part of the premixed non sense, plugged my gun twice. I really watched and worked around it when pouring leaving the last little chunky bit in the can. I will get a picture up tomorrow of my daughter in her grad dress in front of the painted side. All in all a good learning experience. My body work was blah, I will be spending many more hours on the 70 slowly sanding down paint to the original factory lacquer and making sure any filler is completely smooth. At least the 88 although wavy won't be a huge orange peel embarrassment that it was, now the 260 powerplant will be king in that department.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Well I changed direction to finish this dam thing. To cover my ugly body work I sanded what paint was on there. I have decided Tremclad(Rustoleum in Canada)Red Primer and then Tremclad clear coat sprayed on with my gun. It has covered a lot of ugly and it will look OK on this car. I must say I did a very good job on the roof, you would think it was a hard top car, so that is my positive for body work. This Tremclad is horrible to spray. It lays down nice but constantly plugs the gun filter every couple of feet, even filtered and thinned. I am not going to bother thining or straining it this coat. I have to say the 70S will turn out much better, I plan buying the quality primer and paint for it in the original colour. It will cost the same as the Duplicolor Paint Shop and actually cover. Life, just one big learning curve. What you put in is what you get back.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Car is painted, red primer then clearcoat. The bottom feed suction non HVLP paint gun didn't plug and worked great. Looks OK for what it is. Pics this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor