Power antenna not working

DB87442

Apprentice
Nov 27, 2021
Cartersville, GA
Question…. My Cutlass came from the factory with the power antenna option and I have since replaced it and it worked fone for a while, but now it doesn’t seem to be getting power. I’ve checked the wire connections at the motor and they are good. I’m wondering if there should be a plug attached from the antenna motor to the location circled in the fuse block on the attached picture. I don’t recall removing this and can’t find a loose plug under the dash so I’m a bit confused. The fuse is good and stereo turns on like it should. Could be a bad antenna motor maybe?
IMG_1960.jpeg
Any ideas?

Reactions: 1 user

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Check the CTSY fuse, see if it has +12V at the orange wire (Circuit 40, fused but not switched) at the relay. Check if it is getting a signal from the stereo on the yellow or blue wire at the relay.

Things to check:
Fuse.
signal from radio.
Relay.
Antenna motor.
Grounds.

Think this is an earlier diagram but the motor and relay work the same on all of them.

PowerAntenna.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Question…. My Cutlass came from the factory with the power antenna option and I have since replaced it and it worked fone for a while, but now it doesn’t seem to be getting power. I’ve checked the wire connections at the motor and they are good. I’m wondering if there should be a plug attached from the antenna motor to the location circled in the fuse block on the attached picture. I don’t recall removing this and can’t find a loose plug under the dash so I’m a bit confused. The fuse is good and stereo turns on like it should. Could be a bad antenna motor maybe? View attachment 223764 Any ideas?
Hahahaha, of course you'd post this on FB and I'd find it on the forum too.

Yeah check the fuse, and relay like it was suggested as well. You can also use a test light and see if applying +12V makes the antenna motor go or not.

DB87442

Apprentice
Nov 27, 2021
Cartersville, GA
I got a new relay installed and it clicks on and off when I turn the radio on and off where as the old one did not. So there is power getting as far as the relay now. The antenna still doesn’t work though. The antenna has only been used a handful of times, could a short in the old relay have caused the motor in the antenna to go bad? Also, would it be safe to assume the the antenna motor is definitely the problem now?

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
There are still a few possibilities.

Check the power antenna ground.

See if you can get your hand in between the fender and body and touch the motor and see if you feel anything when the relay activates. If not your hand see if you can get a long screwdriver in and touch the tip to the motor and press the end of handle against your ear.

If the motor is turning it might be the nylon tape/wire that pushes and pulls the antenna.
Power Antenna GM late 80s.jpg

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I wouldn't waste time with nylon cords anymore when fixing these antennas. Inevitably, they will break and you'll be pulling it out. Even buying NOS. Might not been a problem while they were still making new ones, but even the newest NOS ones are around 25-30 years old. One thing if it were in the trunk. Whole nuther problem because of where the factory put it. Especially in the Cutlass. PITA to fix on the car.

If the cable is broken, there will be no torque switch cutoff so the motor should run continuously until you unplug it. I've never known a power antenna motor to be quiet, so you should hear it running.

I'm no electrician here, but this is what I would do.

Power up the radio. Unplug the antenna under the hood. Check the harness wire plug for power at the plug in with a test light, or multi-meter grey for power up, green to ground. Then turn off the radio, you should get power from the down power line, from white power to green ground.

If power is available, then it's definitely in the antenna somewhere. You can repair the antenna for sure, but know what you're getting into.

Another one that has good info on how to realign the covers, etc., when doing this job. Keep in mind, your car is no Regal. The mounting bolt is not on the outer fender. It's on the INSIDE. If you've replaced yours before, then you know the nightmare ahead of you.

Now, the plastic covered metal cable is all fine and all, but will that plastic cover hold up? I dunno.

Send a DM to 88hurstolds here, he has, or at one time had, what I consider an even better cable and mast repair kit. What he used was some steel flex push pull cable without the need for plastic and won't fear it unraveling. He rebuilds Lightning Rods, and uses the same push cables for the buttons to detent releases as he does for the antenna. IMO, it's superior to plastic covered stranded metal cable. Regardless, ANYTHING is better than the nylon.

Something like this:

1688901896082.png

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Obviously, as well, if you decide to repair yours, always plug it in to check proper operation BEFORE reinstalling it back into the fender. It would suck to find out didn't work after you put it back in. Note where the factory put the casing half sealer and use that as a guide when you reseal the housing halves. I think the video I posted shows this, but can't recall.

G-body Power Antenna 1.JPG

G-body Power Antenna 2.JPG

G-body Power Antenna 3.JPG

G-body Power Antenna 5.JPG

DB87442

Apprentice
Nov 27, 2021
Cartersville, GA
Thanks for the help guys! Tested the connection under the hood and there is power going to the antenna so I’m in search of a new one now.

How are the OEM units that have the nylon cable replaced with steel. I’d like to keep it original.

This will be the second one I’ve installed and because of the complete PIA it is to do I want to make sure it’s the last one.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
For all intents and purposes, once you install the steel cable and top mast, and put it back together, nobody could ever tell. It will act and function exactly the same as the OEM, and you will be the only one that knows it has a steel cable in it unless you tell someone. Except it will last almost forever.

DO NOT buy another antenna with the nylon cable or YOU WILL be doing this again long before you want to.

Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor