Power mirror conversion

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
No idea if this is of any help, only other mirrors are installed on cars.

This is a NOS 77- 82 Corvette right side remote mirror, GM 461066. Date code 6 DMI 9. Has a short cable that has the remote in the door. Saved because it might be a spare for one of the el caminos never noticed the remote cable is too short, wonder what else is different.
The Vette pedestal mount studs are .25" short with the spacing between them than what our cars use. Would be best to find a Vette guy for that.

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Well, got some more edumakation today with a set of mirrors I picked up today. Mirrors off a Regal/Cutlass doors are not the same as what I needed. The pedestals are different than what the Chevys used. There is about .25" vertical difference with the mounting studs. Even the shape of the spot where the heads mount are different. Passenger side still has the same issue with mounting the guts. The heads are the same. Glad the driver side had the cables cut & the passenger side was complete but they aren't any use to me other than passing on this found info.
Now on to the needed pics showing the details starting with the driver side mirror frame.
DSCN4265.JPG
Now the pedestals, Vette is bare pot metal, Chevy is green primer, Regal/Cutlass is orange/white.
DSCN4250.JPG DSCN4247.JPG DSCN4245.JPG DSCN4246.JPG
Here's the motor bracket on the Chevy pedestal.
DSCN4251.JPG DSCN4238.JPG
If I have to put it all togeather as is there is a rib in the head that might keep it in position with only one screw,
DSCN4255.JPG DSCN4252.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I did get a pair of mirrors over the weekend but found out there are some variations on later production mirrors. My driver side was off a '85 El Camino which has the needed pedestal (dispite the mounting pad having cracks/chunks missing) but the head is different with how the cable remote guts mount which renders it useless for the conversion. The remote passenger side came from a '84 Parisienne which also has a gut set up that also renders its head usless with the pedestal needing holes drilled in to mount the Vette guts. Looks like it does have the needed space on the inside that gives enough room to allow the screw head to fit as some of the other ones I have don't. At this point I am considering just to oval the holes just enough to go with the complete Vette mirrors but it I can get a good set up & find a source to make the needed parts so others could do the conversion it will be worth it, Some more pics will be posted later.

Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Haven't got the additional pics but it may not matter as it looks like things won't be going as planned. I mocked up a driver side mirror using a A/G/B mirror pedestal & head with a '90's Malibu/Cutlass motor. The I placed the mirror frame in position as if I was going to snap it back on to notice it was sitting too much in board up against the head. Double checked it against the one still assembled Vette mirror & all is good. Swap out a Vette head & used both the newer motor & a Vette motor to get the same problem. Reassemble that head as a complete Vette mirror using both motors & all works out like it should. So I might be reworking the door holes & using the Vette assembles. But I did figure out which newer motor works with my B-body switch. With the switch I had to "invert" the position the left & right dimple would be facing (towards the rear of the car instead of the front) so the mirrors moves in the direction the lever is pushed. At this point the chrome B-body mirrors would be the easiest ones to use unless you have a '86 up Monte or Elky which looks like the easiest conversion. When I get some time later in the week I compare more parts to see if everything I butchered up for this does work. Then I have to really look into what mods that might have to be done in order to get some 3D parts made & if it's financially possible for me.

Reactions: 5 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Bumping this one with no real updates. Just playing around with controls to see what looks better for that OE look & still toying with the idea of having either one comtrol or have it look like factory dual cable remote mirrors.

Reactions: 2 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Got some Molex connectors & terminals in today to make test harnesses to better test the C3 adjustment levers today. Got them both tested to find out with just using the powered test light one works perfect, the other would keep the selected motor continuously keep the mirror moving left & down. May kill the idea of having dual mirror controls like dual cable remote mirrors with them. Maybe might get lucky to find another with out the Vette tax.

Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Having a regular search for more overpriced Vette parts for this project I pied up another set of mirrors which has everything everthing but the door harnesses were cut at the base of the pedestals. Now as long as they work as advertsed I'll keep the motors & frames assembled & used the pair that are removed from their motors for the planned 3D printing. Funny thing with this purchase, Jr. saw I bought them & told me "they were not going on his Milie!" I reminded him I'll only set him up a pair if he changes his mind but we will keep the original mirrors on his car.

Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor