power steering belt squeeling in 87 cutlass supreme

Status
Not open for further replies.

hickstersks

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 14, 2009
hello im looking for some guidance on my 87 cutlass. I just bought the car a couple weeks ago. my power steering belt broke last week. i replaced it and the new one squeels like a stuck pig all the time. The old belt squeeled a little at startup but quit when the fan clutch kicked in. The car has ac but the belt has never been on it. i replaced the water pump and the power steering pump turns smoothly by hand. i cleaned the pulleys and i cant see any misalignment in the pulleys. ive heard there are some spacers for the ps bracket but im not exactly sure what they look like. when you run the car for only about ten seconds the belt gets super hot and so does the water pump and ps pulleys. if anyone can point me in the right direction i would appreciate it.

Put a belt back on your a.c. compressor.
With both the alt. & p.s. on the same side, the pulley gets uneven pressure because the a/c belt isn't there on the other side to balance it out. I bet there isn't a belt on the air pump either.

well there is no air pump on my engine. ive heard about putting the ac belt on to stop the squeeling. i bought one today but havent put it on yet ill try tommorrow but i have a hard time believing thats gonna fix it because because that power steering belt and pulley gets hot and the alternator belt doesnt and it squeels loud. but im gonna give it a try. i hate to put a power steering pump on since it spins smoothly. thanks for your help.

my 85 cutlass supreme did the same thing right before i sold it, i just sprayed WD-40 on it and it stopped it would squeal every once in a while but it completley stopped after a while. i did the same when the fan squealed as well.

Mine did the same with my 307 in my 83' Olds. One I balanced the belt line it stopped. I really don't recommend spraying anything on belts, it's not a permanent solution to your problem(and among other things could promote slippage).

When I bought the car it didn't have the A/C Compressor or emissions smog pump(and the water pump was pissing, and needed immediate replacement. Car had to be towed home when I bought it.). So pretty much right after I bought it I installed a new water pump only to have it squeal like all hell. A few head scratching WTF's later, I went the junk yard and picked up an A/C compressor with brackets, once that was installed it was quiet. I never did put a smog pump on, nor was there any A/C hoses hooked up. Just the simple balance in tension on the crank and water pump took care of my problem. Good luck.

Make sure you have at least 90 degrees of belt engagement around the pulley. It may be that it has insufficient wrap and thus traction. I forget the exact number of degrees needed, but it is probably 90-120 degrees minimum. When some people start hacking away at what they think is "unnecessary" without an understanding of the underlying principles used to design these systems, they end up causing more problems than they solve. There are things like pulley ratios, belt engagement, etc. that the average redneck (or teenager) doesn't think about when he starts to "improve" things. Sadly, they leave more issues to be fixed for the next guy when they don't get why the car "don't run good no more".

thanks for all your help. i was going to try to put the ac belt on tonight but i got the wrong one from advanced so that didnt happen i let the car run for a little bit to see if it would quiet down but no such luck. the ps belt started to smoke a little so this thing is getting pretty hot for whatever reason somthing is causing friction on this belt im starting to look toward the ps pump im pretty sure all the spacers are there but i wasnt able to find a good picture of the setup on the internet so i might try to find one to look at. but im still gonna give the ac belt a try because im willing to admit i dont know all the how's and why's these things are engineered. thanks again for you help

i agree with keeping the ac belt, i have a 85 riviera with a 307 and i have had issues ever since i took that stupid ac off, also have issues with over heating because the p.s. belt slips and wont spin the pump fast enough. there is a pully swap you can do though but i do not know the details, i know it adds a small belt from the crank to the water pump.

ive heard of this small belt that goes from crank to water pump but i dont know how you would tighten it? i havent had time to put the ac belt on yet. None of the parts stores have been able to come up with the right one. so i dont know what the deal is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor