Power Steering Pump Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
The only reason I mentioned the pressure valve (1" hex that the high pressure line screws into) was because I've been burned several times on my Silverado. 1st time I replaced the pump, I took it out and had no brakes (Hydroboost). I swapped the pressure valve, and it was good. Since then, I always reuse the pressure valve because the reman isn't always correct. pontiacgp is on track....

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Assume this is a type 1 Saginaw pump that was original equipment - is the fluid aerated badly when it's idling? And is it flowing well at idle? How is the power steering - normal or no?

McCoysRevenge

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 28, 2020
64nailhead at idle and low speed i is perfectly fine. Even revving is completely okay its just when I drive at any sort of speed for more than a couple minutes as soon as I let off it sprays most if the fluid out. And the steering itself is perfectly smooth, the pump will sometimes squeel when i take corners or make sharp turns though.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
64nailhead at idle and low speed i is perfectly fine. Even revving is completely okay its just when I drive at any sort of speed for more than a couple minutes as soon as I let off it sprays most if the fluid out. And the steering itself is perfectly smooth, the pump will sometimes squeel when i take corners or make sharp turns though.

It's spraying out for one of two reasons - either the there is a restriction or the fluid is getting aerated which makes the same amount of fluid take more space due to air in it. You could have both occurring as well I guess.

This is a type 1 pump correct (pump on the left)? Have you replaced the hoses? Asking due to a hose that is collapsing inside will cause a restriction.
1598672531736.png
1598672531736.png

McCoysRevenge

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 28, 2020
Yes its this model in particular. The hoses and pump are both less than a month old.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200828-234149_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20200828-234149_eBay.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 134
  • 20200828_233739.jpg
    20200828_233739.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 124

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Look at steering boxes rebuilt by Lares. Theyre in MN. I have their close ratio boxes in both of my cars. They have a website that lists all their parts. Look for a box for a sport suspension. They also come in flare or O ring fittings so know what you need before ordering.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You didn't answer how the fluid looks in the reservoir at low and high idle when not moving?

When your issue occurs, if the fluid is aerated coming from the gear, then the gear is the problem, but if the fluid is aerated at high and low idle when not turning the steering wheel, then the problem is the pump.

Reactions: 2 users

McCoysRevenge

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 28, 2020
64nailhead no the fluid was not aerated at all but I do seem to have solved the problem. I ended up just purchasing a new steering box and installing it, seems like it is working as it should and has definitely tightened up my steering. Also melloelky I will be going out tomorrow to purchase the jeep steering shaft.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
64nailhead no the fluid was not aerated at all but I do seem to have solved the problem. I ended up just purchasing a new steering box and installing it, seems like it is working as it should and has definitely tightened up my steering. Also melloelky I will be going out tomorrow to purchase the jeep steering shaft.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor