pre 1983 2004r crossmember question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave_s1987

Greasemonkey
Oct 8, 2015
Ontario Canada
Hey guys, just trying to figure out what my best option is for installing a 2004r transmission into my 1982 cutlass that does not have the extended frame for mounting my cross member in its new location.
Does anyone know if there is a place where I can by extensions to move the stock crossmember back? I was thinking about buying the g-force crossmember that comes with the extensions for my car but I started wondering if those same extensions would work with my stock crossmember? or if anyone has just made their own extensions to move it back?

I have already heard good things on here about the g-force crossmembers but if I can save a few bucks and use the stock one I might as well. any advise is always appreciated!

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I made my own from 1"x2" rectangular tube. About 20", drill four holes. Bolt in the passenger side and trans mount, then mark the holes in the extension tube.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Mine is for an 80 Cutlass and if memory serves me correctly, yours mounts a llittle differently. But here what I did - cost about $30 worth of cold rolled steel including the frame brace (that isn't shown). The brace attaches to the driver side rail at 45 degrees to extended part of the crossmember.
IMG_0876.JPG
Crossmember.jpg

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
The best way is to cut the factory frame brace out of a newer car 84'-88' and weld it in.. I have a nice one ready to install if your interested. I can post some pics if needed. The rectangular tubing method mentioned above is functional and works but it adds weight and looks a bit cobbled.

Last edited:

WisconsinCutlass

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2014
I just installed the 200-4r cross member from gbodyparts.com. Fit right in and definitely no clearance issues with my dual exhaust. Cheaper than the gforce but probably is a little weaker. It only bolts with 1 bolt on each side instead of 2 with the gforce. Price is also cheaper with the gbodyparts and you can get the extension with it. With the weather getting nice I wanted to get my swap done asap so I spent the money for the bolt in parts. If I had more time I would of looked into fabricating myself.

http://www.gbodyparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=1152

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas

dave_s1987

Greasemonkey
Oct 8, 2015
Ontario Canada
That's quite a nice crossmember you built 64nailhead, you can go ahead and FAB one for me and ship it out anytime ;) lol

I did see those products at summit and g force but I wasn't sure because if you read the description of both of those extensions, they say they are to be used with a specific crossmember and I'm looking for frame extensions to use with the stock one. I'm not sure if those extensions would have worked with the stock one or not though? They both say that they extend the drivers side frame rails but I would think that Both sides of my frame would need extending to use the stock one. maybe that just means I should by 2 and use 1 on each side if I wanted to use them?

Anyways, thanks for all the responses, it was really helpful. Since I'll have some extra time next week I think i'm just going to fabricate something to make it work.. but If I had the extra cash I would love to just buy a bolt in G-force with extensions to make my life a bit easier lol

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
The best way is to cut the factory frame brace out of a newer car 84'-88' and weld it in.. I have a nice one ready to install if your interested. I can post some pics if needed. The rectangular tubing method mentioned above is functional and works but it adds weight and looks a cobbled.

Geesh, some might take offense to that.....fortunately I'm not some. We've added weightt all around, control arms, 7.5 to 8.5, V6 to V8, but we make up a extra couple of hundred of pounds with next size bigger wastegate spring - lol. I assume you'd consider the hole in the hood with the turbo peeking out cobbled? (I do). But remember we rescued our G-body from the circle track crowd. It already had holes cut in the floor for the cage, but we just welded pieces back in and put in some new carpet.

p.s. - I'm just picking and grinning - Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor