Predicting the future....

It popped up several times in researching the pic.....
Hmmm. Curious.
latest

Nissan commercials in my area are advertising the cars as "tech" instead as basic transportation.

Yep. I saw that and kinda laughed, that commerical series is what made me realize we are officially in a new age of car advertising campaigns.

In the early days, the 20's-early 50's it was about economy, low cost. You had the chevy "thriftmaster" trucks, stuff was about low cost of ownership, low cost to buy
In the 50's you got "style" and "presence" (big fins, chrome)
In the 60's you got "performance" (look how this 440 charger is faster than this 396 chevelle
In the 70's you got "Luxury" land yachts (Ricardo Montobaun, yes I spealt it wrong, talking about rich Corinthian leather
In the 80's you got economy again with the move to smaller cars and more FWD stuff, also utility with vans
In the 90's you got safety with airbags and crash testing
In the 00's you get efficiency with mileage and also utility again with off roading and hauling stuff around
And today we are in the "tech" age. "We don't build cars, we build technology" I'm sure in the 50's car companies said "we don't build cars we build style" and in the 70's "we don't build cars we build luxury"

in 30+ years the every day stuff that will be looked at as collectible are the cars that had the most unnecessary gaudy tech features. Just like the 50's stuff with the most chrome, the 60's stuff with the most performance, and the 70's stuff with the most luxury are collectible today.

The tech fascination with cars is just a rehash of the same trends we have seen for the past 75 years. Luxury cars used to mean how comfy and spacious the car was, now it's about how techy it is.

Hmm. Things one never knew. Or cared to. Interesting choice of car to make look like a total turd. Maybe that's how GM got the idea to slap big huge plastic pieces of crap to the sides of their utility Pontiacs and Chevy Avalanches.

That angle of the SUX 6000 covered up the sleeker lines of the Cutlass, that's for sure. Fooled me into thinking it was more Cadillac based. Probably the same size though. Them 70s Cutlasses were some big *ss cars.

Reactions: fleming442

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor