Progression Ignition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Given the great reviews and the happy smiles for miles i've seen.... im sure i'll be no different.

Figure the only thing i'll have to change is the oil, when i changed it 3months ago, i put synthetic... if im to use this new distributor, i'll need break in lube for the melonized gear and use conventional oil.

Not sure if you're aware, there is a newer version of the APP, i download it onto my cell phone(android) and had a look around, neat stuff.

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Welp... here it is, now to just find the time to install and enjoy it. Soon

Attachments

• Progression HEI.JPG
    Progression HEI.JPG
    176.3 KB · Views: 90
Reactions: 2 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Welp... here it is, now to just find the time to install and enjoy it. Soon

Be sure to post your experiences with it after you’ve gotten a chance to put some miles on it. Especially the Bluetooth aspect of it. I’ve had Bluetooth equipped devices drop the signal for no apparent reason before (my Bluetooth equipped hearing protectors did that just yesterday), so I’m curious as to how a critical system like the distributor is going to perform with it.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Two months later from last post... its finally installed!

Car starts right up when cold, with the help of an electric choke of course, nice smooth idle, the BT functioned w/o a hiccup, after setting the parameters, took the malibu for a quick 10mile jaunt, no issues from the distributor, but im still getting that mid throttle pinging. I've set my idle speed @ 800rpm and idle timing @ 10*, 32* total timing @ 3000rpm and 10* vacuum advance, start advance @ 80kpa(23.8hg) and max advace @ 20kpa(5.9hg), both default KPA settings, 17hg/park and 14hg/drive, keeping everything conservative for now and working my way up when the time is right.

Something still isnt right and its still causing a lean condition according to the plugs(MR43LTS), the carb was just rebuilt, floats are set proper, idle mixture screws set correctly with highest vacuum, using 6.5hg power valve, jets are richened up, front(72-75) and rear(75-83). Not sure if the vacuum secondaries are opening but im still getting descent acceleration as im pressing down on the throttle little by little, and to this day, i refuse to WOT till i get this issue resolved, the engine seems to be using a stock style fuel pump. I've yet to check the fuel pressure with a guage, thats all i've got left to do, i should be running a minimum of at least 6psi, no more and i dont have a AFR meter, so i'll have to resort to reading my spark plugs for now.

Overall, im pretty happy with this progressive ignition electronic distributor, the guage cluster is sweet, MPH,RPM, TIMMING and VACUUM reading, all on the fly, color me impressed, but once i get this pinging issue resolved, i'll go over more of the other functions thoroughly.

Attachments

• progressive 1.JPG
    progressive 1.JPG
    539.7 KB · Views: 88
  • progressive 2.JPG
    progressive 2.JPG
    543.9 KB · Views: 78
  • progressive 3.JPG
    progressive 3.JPG
    482.9 KB · Views: 75
  • progressive 4.JPG
    progressive 4.JPG
    501 KB · Views: 76
  • progressive 5.JPG
    progressive 5.JPG
    519 KB · Views: 73
Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Are you running an AFR gauge?

From what you're describing, it sounds like the power valve is opening late. Do you know what power valve you have?

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I have seriously considered getting one but they are currently out of the Olds V8 model. A member on Classic Olds ran into a pinging issue, running one on an 11 to 1 Olds 350. It turned out to be the cap and rotor that came with the distributor. The last thing I would have thought of. Maybe try the cap and rotor off your old distributor?

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I understand Carb Lovers and it’s proven that a carb is the most effective way to make horsepower - yes, more power can be generated from a carb than any EFI system
You’ve stated that here a few times now but I’ve read the contrary. How can a carb be better than the precise measurement of fuel provided by a good injection system? What data are you referring to? There are so many variables involved for someone to make that statement.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You’ve stated that here a few times now but I’ve read the contrary. How can a carb be better than the precise measurement of fuel provided by a good injection system? What data are you referring to? There are so many variables involved for someone to make that statement.
Proof is in the pudding, I've never seen an EFI system outperform a carb for power production if, repeat if, the carb is tuned optimally.

From my understanding, it's that the air mixture is better. Better 'emulsification' I believe is the correct term.

But, most are concerned about more than maximum power production at WOT on a dyno pull.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor