BUILD THREAD Project Diesel No More/Teen Dreams Realized

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
Latest project was lower 1 speaker door panels. The pictures always look brighter red than they look in person. Proper thanks to Dixie Restoration Depot. I bought the paint and prep supplies for the other interior panels from Dixie months ago. Those panels I painted match the door panels from Dixie perfectly. I also had a quality control issue on one panel, and Dixie took care of it quickly. The added speakers are a good upgrade. Those tiny dash speakers, even quality replacements, just aren't adequate. Now, I'm working on the heater core.
20221030_161228.jpg

Reactions: 7 users

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
Another boring job, but one that was required if I want my wife to ride with me.... heater core. Our G Bodies have relatively easy access to the heater core - I've had vehicles that required removal of the entire dash, and I've heard of ones that require engine removal. It is still a tedious job and a pain with the hood on and trying not to scratch new paint and ceramic coating. I made it a bit longer by thoroughly cleaning everything and de-rusting the bolts. The 2nd owner had the AC converted to R134, and whoever did that obviously changed out the AC core, and for reasons I do not understand they used some resin crap along the top, and coated other areas in silicone. I expected to find a crack in the housing under the silicone, but did not. After I cleaned all that off, I decided to just paint the housing. The screen inside the cap literally fell apart when I took it out. It was truly tedious replacing that screen. I used aluminum so hopefully it won't corrode away again in my lifetime.
20221102_221311.jpg

Reactions: 6 users

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
Seeking input on window tinting. I don't want ultra dark, but thinking about getting a mild tint. I believe GA allows up to 35%, which i think is too dark looking, so I'd probably stay at 50% or higher. I'm also seeing ads touting ceramic film... anybody got any knowledge to share?

justdandy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 20, 2022
that is a beautiful car. I had an olds that year too. they are so luxurious for a mid size car. I liked it so much I bought an '84 El Camino. which brings to mind. my elky is aa base model. I doesn't have those nice wheels with the stainless trims at the holes. are you going to keep the wheels? I built myne to be a sleeper. 400 small block with cam and heads, 700R4, posi, sway bars it's a great sleeper. Of course what you are building is a breathtaker for performance.If you want to get off the stock S/S type wheels pls let me know at 772 468 7986. thanks Dan

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Seeking input on window tinting. I don't want ultra dark, but thinking about getting a mild tint. I believe GA allows up to 35%, which i think is too dark looking, so I'd probably stay at 50% or higher. I'm also seeing ads touting ceramic film... anybody got any knowledge to share?
I live next door in SC, so yeah, it can be a bear in the summer months. I have the ceramic stuff in my truck and that sh*t works very well in keeping the sun from brutally cooking everything in sight inside. I got the darker stuff on the rear window and rear side windows, because it's a truck and you can do that. Got the legal limit on the side windows and don't have any issues seeing out at night with it. Even got the windshied ceramic clear film which keeps the UV down so it doesn't transmit heat into the interior. It's a little on the pricey side, but oh, so worth it.

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
Hectic end to the year, so haven't had time to post. My lovely bride gave me logo floormats and new door threshold strips for Christmas. I'll try to post pics of those soon. Also, I got my T-Shirt for GBody of the Month. Both daughters and my wife wanted one, so we did our part to support the site. The fellow who was supposed to paint the intake recovered from his illness and
was able to get it done. Honestly, it didn't turn out as I'd pictured it. I may eventually replace it.

20230111_214722.jpg

20230105_210324.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Have you looked into getting a vinyl decal made? I’m not sure if they’ll take 200 degrees, but perhaps.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I don’t know how hot it will get, but after you park it on a hot day, I’m sure it will heat soak to 160-180.

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
Rainy day project - installing a 3rd brake light. I hated them when the government mandated it. I remember some guys getting them from wrecked vehicles to make their cars look newer. Now, anything that might help prevent some bone head tinkering with their phone from smacking my car, I am for it. I got the housing assembly off Ebay a few months ago and painted it when I did the door panels. I bought a LED bulb that flashes first, then goes solid. Hopefully that will help visibility.

20230326_151419.jpg
20230326_151638.jpg

Reactions: 7 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor