BUILD THREAD Project Diesel No More/Teen Dreams Realized

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
Had a Buick/Olds/Pontiac/Caddy event this weekend, so I finally installed the new door threshold & floor mats my lovely wife gave me for Christmas.
20230505_213210.jpg
20230505_213153.jpg

Reactions: 8 users

justdandy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 20, 2022
well the're all G bodies BUT, I really like the way an OLDS trims out inside.

Reactions: 1 user

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
It's been a very busy & hectic year for work, plus moving my two college aged daughters around, plus it's archery competition season, so haven't made it to any car events. I wanted to do Hot Rod power tour, but the Atanta date was a Monday or Tuesday, and I had work commitments. Planned to go to a couple charity events, but the summertime "chance of rain every day" pattern discouraged me from going.

One of the things I put off last year due to time and an already blown budget was installing a posi-traction unit. Off the line acceleration is good, but hurt by the right rear tire lighting up. I was trying to test 0-60 with the timer built into the Dakota Digital gauges. When I stopped and it showed 1.9, I just laughed. That may be how fast the rear wheel is getting to 60, but I'm not moving that fast. So, I finally ordered a Detroit TrueTrac for the rear end. It will probably be a few more weeks before I can get around installing it. 20221225_150528.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
It's been a very busy & hectic year for work, plus moving my two college aged daughters around, plus it's archery competition season, so haven't made it to any car events. I wanted to do Hot Rod power tour, but the Atanta date was a Monday or Tuesday, and I had work commitments. Planned to go to a couple charity events, but the summertime "chance of rain every day" pattern discouraged me from going.

One of the things I put off last year due to time and an already blown budget was installing a posi-traction unit. Off the line acceleration is good, but hurt by the right rear tire lighting up. I was trying to test 0-60 with the timer built into the Dakota Digital gauges. When I stopped and it showed 1.9, I just laughed. That may be how fast the rear wheel is getting to 60, but I'm not moving that fast. So, I finally ordered a Detroit TrueTrac for the rear end. It will probably be a few more weeks before I can get around installing it. View attachment 225341
Love the TrueTrac I put in the GTO

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
My archery competition season ended in August, so I've been able to go to a few car shows and do a little tweaking on my car. I've been very surprised at the positive reception. My car has been chosen for awards at shows with some really nice cars in attendance.
As for tweaking, my T-Top weatherstrips were good, except the rattle stopper strips on top were cracked & showing lint from cleaning with paper towels. i replaced those and painted the front liners satin black, and replaced the screws with satin black ones. That area looks new now, so I've had the tops out for the last few events. There was a bracket on the AC that was rusty and just stood out, so I pulled that, soaked it in rust remover and painted it "chrome". Also removed hood insulation and painted the underside of the hood & hinges satin black to eliminate some ugly spots with mild surface rust. It took longer to tape everything up than it took to paint.

I know a lot of guys remove chrome trim and emblems from their cars, but I really like the Olds rocket, Cutlass script and Calais crests. Because my car was originally a diesel, it didn't have the small rocket logo on the right side of the trunk lid left of the Oldsmobile script; mine had a diesel script on the right side. I removed the diesel script when we did the engine swap, and had been looking for the small rocket. I finally found one on Ebay a few months ago. The red was faded out, but a little Testor's model paint and careful work with a detail brush took care of that.
20230825_191122.jpg
20230819_141924.jpg
1000001387.jpg
1000001442.jpg
1000001440.jpg

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
Up next will be replacing the carpet. The original carpet is not in bad shape, visually. A little bit of wear in driver foot well, and some slightly faded spots if you look really closely. The nagging issue is the smell. I have sprayed Fabreze in it numerous times, but the diesel smell keeps returning, so hopefully replacing the carpet will help, and look a bit sharper, too.
20240104_213511.jpg

Reactions: 8 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
It's amazing what the carpets can keep in them

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor