BUILD THREAD Project long time coming

81camel

Apprentice
May 16, 2023
Streetbu - is your front bump a chrome bumper with the rubber strip removed and then painted? or is it something else?
just thinking of ideas for what i'll do with mine. i think the rubber needs to be replaced at some point but will be tough to find.

Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Streetbu - is your front bump a chrome bumper with the rubber strip removed and then painted? or is it something else?
just thinking of ideas for what i'll do with mine. i think the rubber needs to be replaced at some point but will be tough to find.
It's a stock chrome bumper that came without the rubber strip. I painted it black. This car originally had the impact straps and of course they were in poor shape. I found these bumpers without the impact strip holes in a junkyard and snagged them.

Reactions: 2 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Here's a pic of the bottom inside lip of the drivers door.
20240402_190223.jpg

And here's the outside of the passenger door.
20240402_190238.jpg

Inside lip of passenger door.
20240402_190258.jpg

No way to repair them. Wouldn't be anything for a new door skin to attach to. To rebuild the inner portion of the door, then fix/replace the skin would've been daunting to say the least. And If I was doing it I'm sure it wouldn't have come out pretty LOL

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
And this is why you only believe half of what you see on the internet. It looked decent from the outside, but luckily that's the only rust that was left on it. Somehow the quarters, rockers, and fenders are fine. I fixed the floor long ago, and of course where the body mounts sit on the frame when I swapped in the "new" frame.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

81camel

Apprentice
May 16, 2023
It's a stock chrome bumper that came without the rubber strip. I painted it black. This car originally had the impact straps and of course they were in poor shape. I found these bumpers without the impact strip holes in a junkyard and snagged them.
thank you!

Reactions: 1 users

BuickOldsPontiac

Master Mechanic
Oct 14, 2011
Sterling Heights, MI
Here's a pic of the bottom inside lip of the drivers door.
And here's the outside of the passenger door.
Inside lip of passenger door.

No way to repair them. Wouldn't be anything for a new door skin to attach to. To rebuild the inner portion of the door, then fix/replace the skin would've been daunting to say the least. And If I was doing it I'm sure it wouldn't have come out pretty LOL
Definitely understand it now. And looking back through you weren't hiding it either. It is interesting how the mind remembers somethings and forgets others.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor