Projects from THE COMPOUND

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this today and I immediately thought of you...An Austrian engineer recently retrofitted a 1966 VW Bus Bulli T1 with late-’60s Bombardier snow tracks.

Attachments

• 563505_568635833147297_1733812546_n.jpg
    563505_568635833147297_1733812546_n.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 619
  • Snowcat_2.jpg
    Snowcat_2.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 660
  • Snowcat5.jpg
    Snowcat5.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 625
That's extremely well executed just plain cool. If you had posted the first photo and said it was a VW factory prototype, I wouldn't have doubted it. Those split window buses are bringing crazy money right now. Not sure what the market value on a snowcat conversion is though :lol: .

DRIVEN said:
That's extremely well executed just plain cool. If you had posted the first photo and said it was a VW factory prototype, I wouldn't have doubted it. Those split window buses are bringing crazy money right now. Not sure what the market value on a snowcat conversion is though :lol: .
With a the snow on the east Coast right now who knows maybe this could turn into something.. 8)

Maybe. When I was in college I worked at my uncle's shop in eastern Oregon at the base of the Blue Mountains. We used to work on snowcats that the utility companies operated. We also got quite a few Cushman Tracksters owned by farmers and locals that kept them at their cabins. Tracked vehicles are lots of fun to drive!
Swiped from the internet, in case you weren't familiar with the Trackster:
106762d1216678788-new-old-cushman-trackster-craigslist-dsc01092_zps2a3e818c.jpg

From one v-dub person to the next, I'll share will you a few of our aircooled vw's. We have over 10 total.
'57 Oval
100_0351.jpg

'63 Sundial
bus1.jpg

'63 Bug
funfest027.jpg

'64 Prostreet
64prostreet006.jpg

'67 Ghia, '72 Bug and '63 in background
67ghia003.jpg

'70 Fastback
vw019.jpg

'67 2132 Turbo Bug
100_0162.jpg

I'll stop there, don't want to clutter up your deal. Hope you enjoy. Still got lots left!

Aw crap, I'm officially a v-dub guy :lol: . I was hoping that simple possession didn't necessarily earn me membership.
LOVE that type 3. Especially on those wheels. My grandparents had a blue '69 fastback since new. When they replaced it with a Cavalier it was sold to an ex-buddy of mine for $400. He beat the crap out of it for about a year and it was eventually impounded. I miss the car way more than his friendship. What a shame.

Got to love the vw people. The type 3 is a little scary to drive being so low. I like what you've done keep up the good work!

Tags are on. Title in hand. Vacuumed it out and washed it. Just placed the CL ad. Hopefully I can make some money...quick. I just can't get over how nicely it runs and drives. I've put almost 300 miles on it in the last 2 weeks. It's gonna look great in someone else's driveway. Then, on to the next one.
010_zpsdb1918d5.jpg

Your projects are looking good. I am a fan of most cars(imports and Domestic) so I love seeing restoration threads like yours.

Being that you live in Oregon, I am surprised to see you have not had or restored one of the official vehicles of Oregon an 84-89 Toyota Van(especially one of the 4WD versions)

I like what you have done with the VW vans. I like the old "hippy van" and would not mind a good specimen of a Vanagon(I like the non camper van version)

Please keep up the pics

There aren't too many Toyota vans still running around. We are in an odd pocket for VWs though. A couple came by last night to look at mine who were recent transplants from the Washington DC area. They kept going on and on about how they rarely saw them on the east coast but can't drive 2 blocks without seeing one in Portland. And that's the odd thing -- there are lots of them here but they don't actually come up for sale that often.
As far as the "official car of Oregon" goes, I'd say it's probably a Subaru Outback. If you've ever seen the show Portlandia, you know they poke fun about that pretty frequently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor