Projects from THE COMPOUND

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I talked to my dad today and he said he was blowing the blue '36 apart to be painted. There's a guy close to him that does decent work for cheap -- not show quality but okay for a driver.
Pics when I get some.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Thought I had a serious problem with the old Goldwing. I was on my way back from lunch and ran it really hard for a stretch fillowed by some hard braking and even more hard riding before parking it. After work I jumped on it and as I rolled out the parking lot I could hear a clanking noise. ****. I limped it home and set it up on the center stand to see if I could pin it down. Seemed to be coming from the transmission area. My suspicion was that one of the main bearings was coming apart. It just sounded so much like a roller bearing that was falling apart and stacking up the balls. I got pissed and just walked away. A few days later I decided to verify. What did I find? The brake pads were rattling. I think a combination of hard braking, dust, and humidity was causing the pads to rattle. Then the rattle transmitted through the final drive, up the drive shaft, and was making the most noise in the transmission. I never, EVER would have thought that pad rattle would sound that dramatic. I honestly thought it was transmission failure. Pulled the rear caliper off, greased the back of the pads and the slide pins -- all better.
Sometimes I love being wrong.

Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I'm doing it again. Splitting this batch with my brother.

All cleaned inside and out, pressure washed, painted, 2/3 pairs of rotors turned (I'm leaving one pair as-is), dust shields straightened, some axle seals replaced, rear covers repaired (they punch holes in them to drain the fluid). Just need to hang the brakes and place the ad.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Distraction alert:
I'm tired of complaining about my '35 getting no attention from my bodyman/painter. It was supposed to be done 2 years ago and really has barely been started. I've gone pretty much as far as I can with the chassis and have ordered every single replacement body part (including a completely new bed) that he has asked for. I can't make him do it.
So, I've decided to embark on a winter project to keep my mind off the '35.
Enter; Street Scrambler. I got the fixation a few weeks ago and was talking to my buddy, Marc, who was totally on board. We are building them with the idea that we can have smallish street bikes that would be capable of logging road duties of light offroad camping. Target budget is $1500 for each build.
After only a couple days of CL stalking, Marc picked this aborted project up.

His is a CX500 Custom. Took us about 10 minutes to get it running. It's been heavily sliced up and a monoshock conversion has already been done.

A few days later I located and bought this GL650 Interstate (Silverwing).

I rode it about 90-100 miles home and it ran pretty good but needs some attention in the suspension department. I spent a couple hours yesterday cleaning it up and giving it a closer going-over. All the fluids look great. Plug don't have many miles on them. Has a little tick in the engine that I was hoping a valve adjustment would cure. It didn't.
Anyway, we're both in research and parts gathering mode right now. Tentative plans for welding on Marc's this weekend.
These two bikes are close cousins so it'll be fun to see how they look after the transformations.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
And now we have one more thing in common. Please save all the luggage, side panels, front fender and fairings from the CX650. Fuel tank also if it's not used in the transformation. I'll come get them if I have to.

Idaho Falls 1992.jpg
Here's a vector:

Last edited:

chophead

Greasemonkey
Apr 25, 2015
pa hill billy hell
Very nice bike projects. I am a big fan of honda's and the many combinations of bike styles you can build out of them.
750 honda in a amen frame was my 1st street bike and I rode that threw high school.
So is the mono shock staying?
I seen a few mono shock bikes that were done and some I liked. But chops and bobbers are my thing. Before there was paved roads there was hardtailed bikes!!
I have been known to off road more then one harley and always made it where I wanted to go. My 12yr old son and I are building him a 90 sporty we hardtailed. So now my sporty days are stirring up. I seen a off road dirt bike style sporty and even a fourwheeler sporty that has me looking for another 1000 dollar runner for either a quad or dirt bike.
I have a ds650 roller I can build a quad from or a honda cr front end for the start of a dirt bike.
Always nice to see what you got stirring up!

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I had planned to resell all the leftovers after I got done with the build to try and recoup a bit of the initial investment. I'd LOVE to see them all go together in one lot as opposed to piece by piece even though the parts are always worth more individually. Ebay would be a huge hassle. My initial plan was to reuse the tank and front fender but anything could happen in the next few months. If you seriously want them we can certainly work out a deal at some point. Truthfully, the fairing is kinda rough and has damage to the right side. The radio/CB and upper displays are inop and I haven't cared enough to find out why. It also has the handlebar mounted radio controls which I haven't seen before. The trunk and bags are decent but have storage damage (skuffs and scratches). One side cover is really nice and the other has been cracked and glued at the forked part at the rear but isn't visible. All in all about what you'd expect from a 30+ year old bike.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Marc brought his by yesterday and we put in a few hours. More accurately, he put in a few hours while I played shop teacher -- which is exactly how he wanted it. The starting point...

The previous owner had cut the rear hoops out in an attempt to make it looks cooler. Fortunately he had saved almost all the pieces and Marc got them in the deal. You can see that the rear struts had been cut off and rewelded up higher at some point also.

Started stripping down the rear...

Shaved off all the unneeded brackets from the hoops...

Dropped off the exhaust, rerouted the rear wiring harness, cut off the hokey seat mount and rear gas tank mounting stud...

Cut some slugs/sleeves (not pictured) for all the weld joints and rewelded the hoops and seat area back together and tacked it in place. I didn't weld it to the frame yet because we are 99% sure that the rear shock will be getting changed out and it'll just be easier to work around it without the rear frame structure in the way.

Last thing we did was mock up some parts and discuss placement and future tasks and design aspects.

Only thing we did to mine was take turns buzzing it up and down the driveway.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Powdercoat on demand? Space for a small beer keg under the seat for the thirsty rider. Or to hide the air cleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor