Projects from THE COMPOUND

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
The pods are in place in the last photo. The tail light is mounted on the left side of the rear wheel right now but we were thinking about putting it up under the seat along with a fabbed battery box. Both will be at the rear of the seat and the wiring will be tucked under the seat as well. It's a pretty key styling point for Marc to have the area under the seat open to display the monoshock.
Of course all of this is subject to change at the whim of the artist.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Could the battery go in one of the ammo boxes? I remember my Silverwing had a funky battery with the terminals on the opposite side as most and thus cost more. You can use whatever fits in the box since you'll have to build your own wiring harness....

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
We probably won't be reusing the ammo boxes for anything other than ammo. My description of battery placement probably didn't make much sense but it actually fits pretty well there. He's also seriously considering a LiPo battery which could be concealed pretty much anywhere. We probably won't even need to mess with the harness since it all tucks under the seating area. We'll just attach the ignitors and the rectifier to the bottom side for cooling.

My mirrors and some exhaust materials showed up yesterday. On order: Tires, tubes, grips, bars, gators, fork seals, and an oil filter.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Started breaking down Zero. Also picked up a set of newish Sportster mufflers. Not sure if I'll use them but couldn't pass up the $15 deal.

Took my tires in to a local bike shop to have them swapped out and they refused to do it. Liability, blah, blah, blah. Was trying to tell me that you couldn't use a tube in a rim meant for tubeless tires. Also said they would have dangerous traction issues on the street and I'd end up in the ditch. Really? The manufacturer developed them as a 50/50 dual sport tire. One of the most popular tires out there with the brat/scrambler guys. Whatever. Ended up buying another set -- same manufacturer but considered a 70/30 tire. When it's all said and done there's about a $30 difference. No biggie, I guess.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I have the CX/GL manuals if you need them for reference. I can take them to work and scan them in as a pdf. Much as I would like to have the Interstate kit, my shed can't hold anymore 'stuff to be installed later.' : (

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
I didn't realize that "hoverbike" would be one of the mods! :eek:

looking forward to seeing these to the end!

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I have the CX/GL manuals if you need them for reference. I can take them to work and scan them in as a pdf. Much as I would like to have the Interstate kit, my shed can't hold anymore 'stuff to be installed later.' : (
Much appreciated. I think I remember seeing pdf link somewhere on CX500Forum but if I can't locate it later I may take you up on that. And if you change your mind on the Interstate stuff, let me know. I plan to keep all the parts until I'm done.
I didn't realize that "hoverbike" would be one of the mods! :eek:

looking forward to seeing these to the end!
Hover conversions are just one of the services offered here at The Compound:cool:. Glad you're enjoying the show. I think I mentioned that this project is meant to be a distraction from the Reaper build that is on hold while my bodyman gets his sh*t together. The bed kit showed up but I can't start back on it until it's seal coated. That's why there haven't been any updates to that thread in awhile. Anyway, stay tuned.

Just got off the phone with Marc and he's placing a parts order for the C-monster as I type this. I got a call yesterday afternoon from the local bike shop that was supposed to be handling my tires saying that they, in fact, could not get them. Then he went on to tell me again that it shouldn't be done and that I shouldn't even look for someone to do it. You know what that means? I'll just do it myself. We're planning another work day next Sunday so there should be an update shortly thereafter.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I always wished for the CX650 final drive. My GL500 had a lower gear, probably to move two fat people, luggage and a fairing through the wind (encouraged an upgrade to a Goldwing...). The bike was completely done at 85 mph - redline.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Something that people seem to forget is that when these bikes were designed/built the national speed limit was 55. My GL1100 suffers from the same genetic deficiency. I made it worse with the spoke wheel conversion that necessitated a swap to a GL1000 final drive that gave up about 10% (3.09 >> 3.40 ratio). I'm a cruiser not a racer anyway. Rarely see speeds past 70.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor