put a turbo 350 trans and my 87 Cutlass 442 stock crossmember will not bolt up

Status
Not open for further replies.

350goldghost1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 21, 2016
The mount pads on the trans have about a 6" difference in length from the front of the case.

It was my understanding that the 2004r crossmember was designed to accommodate the extra length

If the donor car did not have overdrive as-produced , the crossmember will fit the Th350

Maybe you can move the crossmember forward and modify it to fit, Perhaps 307/403 can elaborate on this.
That is all I did, move it forward and found some holes were half off or in the wrong spot and needed drilled out.
That is all I did, move it forward and found some holes were half off or in the wrong spot and needed drilled out.
So you used the stock one if you get time can you send pic give me a idea someone rigged this crossmember up sow bad they welded a Long play on the front of the crossmember to make up the difference worst thing I ever seen lol

350goldghost1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 21, 2016
I swapped a 305/ 200 4R for an SBC 350 /TH 350 and went with the performance notched dual exhaust cross member.
This thing is bad *ss. and is fully boxed and very heavy duty. I still have the stock 200 4R cross member and from what I remember
it was like 3" too long on the long tail 350. I also had the drive shaft shortened and re ballanced .
The Gbody performance cross member was around $299. go to the junk yard and pull a stocker and save money
or get the performance one if you intend to upgrade power along the way. You'll be miles ahead when you do.
I know somebody posted something for me about what kind of cross member to get the car had at 3:07 all the stock stuff i put a 350 bored out 30 over upgraded everything stage 2 brand new rebuilt motor but this dumb crossmember is giving me a hard time so if somebody or you can tell me exact crossmember that will fit from another car years make and model before I go to the junkyard so I don't get the wrong one and they won't take it back thanks

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Essentially, there are only 2 factory G body crossmembers....overdrive and no overdrive.

All of the factory-installed transmissions in a G body EXCEPT the 2004R use the same crossmember.

Pretty much any G body model year 83 and earlier will have the non-overdrive crossmember...unless it has been swapped by somebody.

If the car's shift indicator does not show the "D" inside a surround, or the prnd321 pattern, it was not originally OD equipped.

350goldghost1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 21, 2016
Essentially, there are only 2 factory G body crossmembers....overdrive and no overdrive.

All of the factory-installed transmissions in a G body EXCEPT the 2004R use the same crossmember.

Pretty much any G body model year 83 and earlier will have the non-overdrive crossmember...unless it has been swapped by somebody.

If the car's shift indicator does not show the "D" inside a surround, or the prnd321 pattern, it was not originally OD equipped.
Yes it has the d (d) so since I put in Turbo 350 train so what you are telling me I need to look for A G body car with no overdrive and it will fit thanks for all your patience me my budget is getting kind of small now just don't want to make a mistake thanks for all your info

455'ed80Regal

Master Mechanic
Nov 3, 2010
Lincoln, MO
A buddy of mine had an '84 Monte SS with a turbo 350C, so they were available at least till that year. Possibly even '85. If the gear indicator has 7 letters/numbers it had overdrive and if it just had 6 letters/numbers it has(d) a 3 speed in it, which is the cross member you want. If you're luck enough to find a car with a manual trans in it, that cross member will also work.

87BlazeLS

Master Mechanic
Sep 5, 2012
Apopka Florida
If your rear gears are going to be changed anyway don't worry right now. Get the 3 speed automatic cross member
as outlined by the other members. To save you money. My car has 2.41 gears and is a great cruiser but suffers on
take off and getting any real power from the engine. But when the revs rise it pulls like a freight train.
3 speed auto w/ 3.23 gears and 265-15 rear rubber is just about the sweet spot.
Good luck with your parts hunt and keep us up to date with your progress.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Rather than dealing with old stuffs you can pick up a Jegster unit for appx $125. For th400/200r4, 700r, and th350 applications. Its a heavy unit already notched for dual exhaust. I know Gforce has them as well

Last edited:

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
One more thing about the early cross members, there is a V8 and a V6 style. the V8 has small bolt holes like your 2004R. The V6 cross member has big drilled out holes with rubber isolators bolted to the frame. They are the worst of the factory cross members. Prone to severe rusting and very weak. These isolator cross members kinda started on the '81 up v6's then stopped on the '87s. No V8 car has these undesirable cross members, only V6's. Something to watch out for.
T

350goldghost1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 21, 2016
If your rear gears are going to be changed anyway don't worry right now. Get the 3 speed automatic cross member
as outlined by the other members. To save you money. My car has 2.41 gears and is a great cruiser but suffers on
take off and getting any real power from the engine. But when the revs rise it pulls like a freight train.
3 speed auto w/ 3.23 gears and 265-15 rear rubber is just about the sweet spot.
Good luck with your parts hunt and keep us up to date with your progress.
It has a 72 Olds Cutlass 350 in it fully rebuilt step up from stock Edelbrock intake Edelbrock carb turbo 350 trans with a 2300 stall and 373 rear hope it runs good just put the motor 2 days ago crossmember is holding me up and need exhaust from the motor back it never end lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor