Putting a 572 in 87 monte carlo ss

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'd be taking the body off and like Texas82GP suggested box the frame, to that I would add redo all the factory welds and reinforce the suspension pick up points. I'd also change all the suspension and body mount bushings.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I tend to agree with some of the other posters here. You could probably easily double the horsepower of the original 305 with a well built 383, it would fall right in where the 305 sits now, and you'd be able to use all of the mounts, accessory brackets, etc from the 305. Plus it could be done more easily and quickly than the 572 swap. There would be fewer concerns regarding strengthening the chassis as well.
565bbChevy brings up a valid point as well. What are the emission inspection regulations where you live. Depending on that, it could dictate what you can do regarding an engine swap.
Even if you wanted to look at doing an LS engine swap, there are tons of options for you in that area as well. The LS engine isn't as physically large as the 572, so it will fit in the car more easily, plus if you want to get serious in terms of horsepower, some LS engines can be built to the same power levels as the BBC, if not more. Hooker and Holley have come up with a complete LS swap system for the G body cars. If you are looking for more info, you could head over to LS1tech.com and have a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor