Q-jet questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

88ss408

Master Mechanic
Feb 25, 2007
baie st anne n.b
hey i am building a 84 monte and for my motor i thought on using my motor out of my 88 ss 305H.O but the carb on the ss have 2 plugs(one on top 2 prong blue,and one on the side 3 prong white plug ) i dont remeber what they are for i think one is for a tps and i can't remember the other one but my car only have the wire's for the one blue plugin so can i still use the ss carb or will i have to find another carb with just the one plug ?

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
the one on top is the mixture control solenoid.
do you need to worry about emission? if not, it may be easier to just get a non-computer q-jet and a vac advance distrubutor.

88ss408

Master Mechanic
Feb 25, 2007
baie st anne n.b
no i dont need to worry about emmision i was just wondering on the carb because i wanted to use the parts i had saved form my ss but if i can't use the carb with havin both plugins connected i will jst get a carter or a edelbrock then

mhamilton

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 15, 2008
North Carolina
You won't be able to use the electronic carb without the computer. Your metering rods will be out all the time, it will burn gas like there's no tomorrow.

Personally, I would go with a non-computer qjet if this is a driver, much nicer fuel controls over a wider range of conditions.

88ss408

Master Mechanic
Feb 25, 2007
baie st anne n.b
so geting a carb with the one plug-in or geting an older one that is not ccc at all would be my best bet then ?
are there any difference between the Q-jet's from year to year do some perform better or are they all the same ?that's the reason i was saving my SS carb i thought it maybe a better carb then the other Q-jet's or somthing

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
if you're going to a performance engine, especially if it's 350ci or larger, i'd look for an early to mid-80's q-jet from a truck. these are the same carb's that edelbrock uses as the basis for their performer rpm carbs.
this guy is an expert on q-jets and a great guy to work with. he can put together a kit, including rods and jets, for your application. he also wrote the book on modifying them and i recommend reading it.
http://www.cliffshighperformance.com/index.html

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
You want one from a 350 preferably, and from around 1977 or newer. Those are basically the same carb with the same connections and hoses as the CCC carb, just with no electronics. I use one off a 1979 Chevy van. Just be sure the throttle shaft bores are not too worn as it will be impossible to get a stable idle speed otherwise. They can be fixed, but it's cheaper to find a good one to start with.

bluebronco69

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 10, 2008
so why wouldn't the car pass emissions without the computer controlled carb and dist.? if its tuned right and has cats it should pass right? we are needing to find a way to get my friends ss to run better, and it is eating fuel like no ones business after a carb rebuild, maybe something isnt hooked up like described above
thanks

88ss408

Master Mechanic
Feb 25, 2007
baie st anne n.b
well i found the carb that i need i think here's a couple of pics
IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

and if somebody here can tell me where these plug in to that would help too
IMG_0319.jpg

i know that the big one goes to the trans but dont know where the other one goes ?

IMG_0320.jpg

i know that the white one goes to the carb but dont know about the other ones

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
i assume that you're going to have that completely rebuilt? and i mean COMPLETELY.
the black plug in the top pic looks like it's for the choke.
one good thing about GM is that a plug will only fit it's mate. you will have identical ones, but they're seperated by quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor