Q's about seafoam

Status
Not open for further replies.

82 EL CO

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 22, 2007
ive heard about people useing seafoam in old v8s and it ruining them. ive been wanting to use it on my 82 elco with a 305 and was wondering if its safe for it. there are no mods to the engine but the exhaust is a true dual with no cats would that matter. thanks for the help

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I have heard of a lot of things but have no idea what you mean by "seafoam".

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
i wouldn't run it in the oil. if it works well and clears the gunk out of the bearings they'll seize inside 100mi. that sludge acts as a cushion. on new engines you haven't formed that thick layer in the bearings so it's marginally ok.
worst case for the intake and fuel system you might clean enough garbage off that you foul the plugs and gunk the carb.
i would plan on replacing the plugs. other than that i think you'll be fine.

82 EL CO

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 22, 2007
will it screw it up if it has only 113000 miles and has had synthetic oil for the last 10000?

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
oh yeah! 20k totalk miles maybe. when you put in fresh oil, how long does it take to turn black? why do you want to flush the oil?

redneckracer305

Greasemonkey
Jun 28, 2005
new milford,ct
ive used seafoam on a couple vehicles. never in the oil though, just in the gas and booster line. it worked great on my truck and my moms festiva. i used it in a chevy lumina i picked up, with 130k and it really really clean some crap out. but right after words it would run anymore, which could have been a bad fuel pump or injectors being clogged due to using the seafoam.not sure yet pulled the tank out and installed a new pump in the tank but havent gotten around to puttin it all back it back together, but outta 3 vehicles 1 mysteriously having an issue after using the stuff might be related to the product or may not, isnt to bad and i think it works

beeterolds

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2007
Cleveland ohio 44131
if you are looking for an additive to clean you oil pan/bearings so on out... you should use diesel oil. 15W40

hell u should be using diesel oil anyway with that flat tappet cam....

the truck oil contains a sh*t load of detergents...those will dissolve your sludge and crap in the sump. plus its refined from better base stocks....all diesel oils are better than conventional oils...with the exception of high end syn. oils.

v8power

G-Body Guru
Aug 24, 2007
green bay WI
if you are looking for an additive to clean you oil pan/bearings so on out... you should use diesel oil. 15W40

the truck oil contains a sh*t load of detergents...those will dissolve your sludge and crap in the sump. plus its refined from better base stocks....all diesel oils are better than conventional oils...with the exception of high end syn. oils.

I think shell makes the best oil for what you are talking about, but not 100% positive. what brand do you run?

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
i know that mobil delvac 1300 is recommended by vw before they went to synthetic. its a really good heavy duty oil. shell rotrella is also good.

beeterolds

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2007
Cleveland ohio 44131
v8power said:

I think shell makes the best oil for what you are talking about, but not 100% positive. what brand do you run?

I run Rotella even tho they removed a lot of the good minerals out of it. its still better than any conventional oil on the shelf. and it still contains more ZDDP than Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor