question about aluminum hoods

Status
Not open for further replies.

1981 malibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 22, 2009
Alberta Canada
Just wondering whether the aluminum hood option was common on 1980 Grand Prixs. I picked one up the other day off a boneyard car because I thought it was a rare and sought-after piece, but it seems nobody's interested in it. I've got a Malibu so i can't use it myself, but can any GP experts out there give me some advice? Is this thing worth selling or should I just get rid of it? I think the Pick&Pull might take it back. Thoughts?

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
It is a rare option that is usually sought by G body junkies. Many of us try to assemble the ultimate "factory lightweight" package consisting of the hood, bumper support and radiator support. Added bonus points for a Camaro aluminum/plastic radiator. However, there are not too many cars left in any given area that can take it. Post it on this site's For Sale section, or try to sell it on E-bay. Those are your best bets to reach a national audience and have a good chance of selling it for a decent price. I will also say that it needs the right hood hinge springs to work properly. Steel hood springs are higher tension than those used on an aluminum hood. The same is true of the gas struts on a factory fiberglass Camaro hood from 82-84.

BobCit

Apprentice
Sep 30, 2007
North Jersey
Don't know what you want for it. I would take it but I think shipping would be a to much

1981 malibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 22, 2009
Alberta Canada
I've looked at what other guys are asking for these and prices are all over the place-but i'm not trying to gouge anybody, i just wanted to save it from the crusher. 50 bucks+shipping takes it

cadiac

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 15, 2009
Wichita, Ks
78-80 GP's -they use a different hood than the 81-87GP's -is that correct?? I know the fenders and nose are not the same but the hood? Theres a couple parts cars near here, thought I'd see if there's an aluminum hood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor