Not open for further replies.

Phoenix

Apprentice
Jun 9, 2009
Kansas City, MO
Hello Everyone.

I have an '84 and an '87 MCSS. Both trunks look like this:
MCSSTrunk.jpg

I'm pretty much assuming that all similar year G-body trunks are identical, but what I'm most curious about is where the trunk latches. It sort of looks like a tree trunk with 3 roots coming off of it at the bottom of the trunk:
TrunkPanel7.jpg

So, for those of you that have '80ish+ GNs, Malibus, Cutlasses, Regals, etc...does the bottom of your trunk have those same 3 fingers sticking out at the base of where the trunk latches just like that?
TIA

Yup, it's a standard thing on these cars. I think it is where the metal bunched up in the pressing process that required the floor to have that shape. It could also be for strength too, I dunno.

I appreciate the responses. I'm asking for an important reason.

Though I did say I was assuming they all did, I still need confirmation. So far, I've only got confirmation on the Regal, and Cutlass.

Whats the important reason?

3XBrownCutty said:
Whats the important reason?
I wasn't really quite ready to drop this bomb on GBodyForum yet, but very well.

Several years ago, I designed a trunk panel system for my '87 MCSS:
TrunkTrim1.jpg

I designed it so that all the pieces install in a way that they hold themselves together...and you don't have to screw anything into your trunk. Our cars basically came with a piece of carpet for the trunk trim, and this system fully finishes it.

My '87 is a T-top car, and I installed additional things for my own purposes:
Trunk5.jpg

The box on the right is for my hydrolic jack, and the lidded platform on the left is for my empty t-top bags and tools inside, and to put the t-tops on and strap down with bungee cords, when I have them off the car.
T-topStorage.jpg

That's the long story, but in short...I've modified the design to mass produce these trunk panel kits, and intend to begin making them available in the next couple weeks. The bottom panel is the keystone to all the pieces fitting together, and the system would only work for vehicles that have the same 3-finger pattern at the base of the trunk latch.

that sounds pritty kewl. i dont have a trunk but thats ok. id like to add a suggestion: make a cutout that says "Monte Carlo SS" out of wood and attach it to the pannel that attches to the back of the seats and then add the carpet. that would look AWSOME TO THE MAX BRA!

That is an awesome idea! I am impressed Phoenix it could be used for stereo installs also to make it look professional.

beermonkey9417 said:
that sounds pritty kewl. i dont have a trunk but thats ok. id like to add a suggestion: make a cutout that says "Monte Carlo SS" out of wood and attach it to the pannel that attches to the back of the seats and then add the carpet. that would look AWSOME TO THE MAX BRA!
Yes, a big "SS" option for some, and maybe a "GNX" or something for others, etc.

We're jumping ahead though...I would need to speak to the Admin about this before any of that takes place. For now, I'm just trying to get general non-Monte info.
84GP455 said:
That is an awesome idea! I am impressed Phoenix it could be used for stereo installs also to make it look professional.
Absolutely. In that first pic, you can see my sub box. I'll offer custom options also for people who want to have holes cut before the carpet goes on.

So, does your Grand Prix have those 3 fingers at the bottom of the trunk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor