Question on rear tire to frame clearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
Got the tags off. I see why I couldn't get them of before. They are hole plugs. I was trying to do it with a screwdriver while the wheels were mounted.
Can't do it that way. I removed the wheels and they just pop right off.

So now I've got 1/4" on one side and 3/8" on the other. I talked to another El Camino owner friend the other day and said I should have at least 1/2" inch of clearance. So, I'm back on the fence on whether I should try it first or order some 1/4" spacers now.

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
I'm not at all concerned about the 1/8" difference in the sides.
What I'm concerned about is any side-to-side movement during driving conditions that might make it rub.
Adjustable upper control arm will help even it out.
I'm not at all concerned about the 1/8" difference in the sides.
What I'm concerned about is any side-to-side movement during driving conditions that might make it rub.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Adjustable upper control arm will help even it out.
I am curious how you would adjust them to change frame to tire clearance.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If we are taking about an 1/8” a couple of turns on one side will move it in or out.
IMO all that will do is twist the rearend from it's current position and make one control arm shorter than the other.
If I did that to my Monte my locker would think I was turning and the rear would stay unlocked.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
During the BBORR race in 2009 one of my adjustable upper control arms loosened up @ 160 mph. The first indication was the car filled full of smoke on right turns. I didn't notice it handling funny (though it would have been hard for me to tell if the steering wheel went out of alignment because it was all curves went it went bad), but it definitely did shift the axle over 1/2". We pulled over asap and the tire almost immediately went flat.

We spent the rest of the race hanging with the Vato corner workers helping with the radar gun. Me to Vato #1 corner worker on crutches (so he couldn't work the radio or Radar) "how did you break your leg?" Vato #1, "I was practicing spinning my gun and it went off"

We added a Watts link after that race. Having to stop on course was too risky.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor