question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brett2

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 14, 2008
Hi there im new to this forum thing but i have an 87 grand prix and id like to know if there is a site to identify engine codes...i know the engine in it is pre 70's and i want to find parts for it...aslo its gutless and ive done everything to it eccept the intake gaskets...any ideas? thanx

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
Hey welcome to the forum. I won't be able to help you much with breaking down casting numbers but I'm sure there's plenty of others on here that can. What kind of motor is it? (Chevy, Pontiac, Olds, Buick?) I'm sure you know this right, you'd pretty much have to to be able to buy anything for it. Pictures are always nice and in a motors case sometimes help, alot. You'll find lots of good info on here. Let's start with that. Also what have you done to it? Does it run good? Do you know what transmission you have (OD?)?

brett2

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 14, 2008
ive timed it gave it a tune up changed the oil and its a chevy...prolly a sb and it does run good just its gutless put it into gear and it stalls unless ive got my foot on the throttle

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
possibly could use a carb kit??? A fuel filter is also cheap and worth trying. Has it ever ran better and had more power or has it been that way since you got it? I'm assuming it don't have any emission stuff anymore...right? Otherwise maybe a vaccum leak/problem.

brett2

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 14, 2008
ok does anyone know where i could get a cheap carb...like maybe on the site? its only a 450cfm quadrajet thats on it now... the guy i bought it from says its has 380-400 hp but the way it runs it dont even have one lol i cant even get it to break the tires :(

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
Sounds like who ever timed and "tuned" it for you missed the carberator. haha. Factory Q-jets are factory rated at 750cfm and 795cfm commonly known as an 800. Sounds like you need to have your carb worked on. Search the yellow pages etc for a local carberator shop or rebuilder. It may not need a total rebuild but it sounds like it needs worked on. This will probably be better and cheaper than buying another new carberator which would or should still be tuned by a professional or someone experienced for your motor/car anyway.

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
It sounds like it's a Chevy 350 if it is pre 1970

brett2

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 14, 2008
hey when i timed it it was way off...the cam and crank were so far off i was supprised it even ran...its timed right on but it think ur right on the carb...ill try to find someone round here to rebuild it if i can...OH YA i found three gp in the scrap yard up here!!! ill try to get pics of them and see what all is good

brett2

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 14, 2008
a buddy of mine said he would rebuild the engine so i guess im good for now thanx for your help guys...and if you find a site i can go to so i can run the block numbers i appreciate it thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor