Question:

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Or, here me out., you said your budget is $2500 so Just put that known running engine in, because every bit of that is gonna be spent in other places just to get any gen3/4 in the car. Fuel system, wiring, engine mounts, crossmember, cooling,exhaust, trans lines_cooler, tune, driveshaft for a stock swap.
Once you get it in, and running/driving. Then go to the junkyard and get an engine to do your total rebuild.
For your transmission if you don't feel comfortable rebuilding it just go to the yard and get 1 with red fluid that doesnt smell burnt. I've had no issues doing this on daily drivers.
You'll spend 2500+ on a total rebuild.
If your gonna go thru with the ls swap here's my advice, read,read,read, and then read some more. The info is there for you, but you have to go get it. Do your research or your car won't get off the jackstands
Some people don't want to read tho, they want the hold my hand every step of the way method.

I charge hourly for that.

Reactions: 1 user

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
So after reading this and sorting out the good info and the crap talking from the usual sub-par intelligence on the subject, I have a question that I'm sure has been asked:

What do you actually know how to do with your hands and brain skills?

Some of us have posted well detailed threads on this swap, the wiring schematics are out there if you choose to keep EFI, so again what do know how to do here because the info is here to take what's in that Suburban and cram it into a Gbody to have it running and driving.

• Agree

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
By reading what we've posted here.

Oil Pump has 4 bolts holding it on, and as the name implies it pumps oil, not sprays it. Thanks for playing tho..

Trying to figure out how something is "hiding" when you can see it.. 🤔🙄
if you want to be a smartass, then be one somewhere else. why you have to act like a dick and a know-it-all when there is no reason to is beyond most of us. no one else on this forum acts that way. if you don't want to help, then shut-up and don't.

maybe the "one bolt" I'm referring to is the pickup tube? and I've heard something about some mod for that same area hen it gets too much pressure it just sprays it?
and yes, it is hidden. because unless you can see it installed while standing in front of the car with your x-ray vision, shows you're just trying to be a smartass again.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
if you want to be a smartass, then be one somewhere else. why you have to act like a dick and a know-it-all when there is no reason to is beyond most of us. no one else on this forum acts that way. if you don't want to help, then shut-up and don't.

maybe the "one bolt" I'm referring to is the pickup tube? and I've heard something about some mod for that same area hen it gets too much pressure it just sprays it?
and yes, it is hidden. because unless you can see it installed while standing in front of the car with your x-ray vision, shows you're just trying to be a smartass again.
Samuel L Jackson Reaction GIF by The Academy Awards

• Haha

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach

Probably because this guy is here asking about an LS Swap and you as well as some other usual banter is here shtting all over the post instead of actually helping.

GP403 seem to approve of that, for some reason tho so that has me wondering. Me calling out the crap is frowned upon but the crap is allowed to thrive.. 🤔

I act the way I do because of the above, then again that's our current society of feelings n sh*t..🙄

I have posted MANY detailed threads of "help".. I'm having a problem seeing yours in all your sh*t talking.

I have a reputation here in the LS stuff, you dont. I put hands in it instead of just on the internet crap talking.

Last edited:

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
So yea, jump on the guy who is actually putting stuff in check bringing knowledge to the table. I must be a level or few above. I'm good with that.
I just say research the info here because I'm not re-posting the mountain of info I already did that are a majority of the sticky threads here.

I'll be here for the continued "Ls EnGiNeS are GaRbAgE" tho, from the people who don't even work with them.. 🙄

Carry on...

Last edited:

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
So yea, jump on the guy who is actually putting stuff in check bringing knowledge to the table. I must be a level or few above. I'm good with that.
I just say research the info here because I'm not re-posting the mountain of info I already did that are a majority of the sticky threads here.

I'll be here for the continued "Ls EnGiNeS are GaRbAgE" tho, from the people who don't even work with them.. 🙄

Carry on...

how about printing out a message where you can see it while on your computer/phone

germany berlin GIF by Team Coco

the number of reports and complaints about this kinda crap right here is non-zero and it needs to change.

• Agree

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Just broke in - new oil pump recommended, check bearings.
Melling 295HV is the go-to I've used, and in the last 5 years or so been seeing the Melling name on pumps from Oriellys and even GM Dealerships.

Don't look at the Cam Bearing tho.. 50 miles or 200k miles, they look the same.. 🤣
how about printing out a message where you can see it while on your computer/phone

germany berlin GIF by Team Coco

the number of reports and complaints about this kinda crap right here is non-zero and it needs to change.
I don't report when someone calls me a smartass in the open forum or when something touches a feeling, maybe I need to start reporting it to blend in with the norm. I have to soften up my skin for it tho and find a feeling. I'll try. :)

Let's address the FACT of people bringing in unnecessary crap to the technical topics here, or are we sweeping that under the rug because someone is a dick in someone's feelings?

Genuinely want to know the ROE here..

Last edited:

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach

These are out there, never used one.

The oil pickup tube in the LS Engine is bolted to the oil pump with one M6x1.0 screw to the pump, and then to one of the main studs of the block. That's two points where the steel pickup tube is secured. The Red O-Ring has been put out there as the common part replacement to all of the previous different color O-Rings, saw that in a bulletin a while back.

I've never used that above piece because the amount of core twist you'd have to do to the Block to pop the pickup tube out of the oil pump, yea you'll have bigger problems at that point.

Replaced the O-Ring to the Red one in my Sierra 2500HD when I did an oil pan gasket, 198k mile 6.0l idles at 55psi hot.

O-Ring is cheap, replace them any time you get in one that far if you haven't already.

What makes them lose their function is the engine heating up and cooling down during normal operation. The rubber literally shrinks over time, losing the seal on the vacuum side of the pump.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Use a good o-ring. Preferably one of the ones that come with the pump.

I understand using a HV pump for a street build. But I’ll warn everyone to be careful with a HV pump and stock pan if you plan to spin it at the track. Every stock pan empties with a HV pump at 7500+ for 7-8 seconds if a 1/4 mile run.

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor