Questions on options list? Worth buying/stripping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFamilyTruckster

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 28, 2014
First, if this is not in the correct area, please move. Thank you! My question is, I have the opportunity to buy a 86(?) mc ss for 1k. Doesn't run, and for being in FL, it's pretty damn rusty. But, I can use several parts for my 79' wagon. The asking price all hinges on if it's a posi. Here is the options tag that's on the truck lid. Could you guys help?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 520

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
From my decoding guide it is a posi (G80), 2.56 ratio (GT1)

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
The G80 indicates that as shipped, it was a limited slip rear (posi). Still only a 7.625 rear though, not an 8.5. Should be a 3.73 as evidenced by the GT4 code

MeanBuicks

Master Mechanic
Apr 1, 2014
Memphis, TN
MW9 - 200-4R transmission. These Monte SS transmissions have desirable calibrations that work well with street/strip builds.

TheFamilyTruckster

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 28, 2014
As per second comment, this may a 3.73 posi (LSD)? And that 200r4 is a bolt in for the 79' Malibu wagon? Is there an online guide so I can decide the while thing? An opinion is yes, for 1k? I will be using the front half of the int, hvac box and all parts, rear, transmission, odds n ends, selling anything any one needs, scrapping the rest.... 1k worth?

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
for a non- running rusty car 1g is too high, offer $400 see what happens

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Flyers9928 said:
for a non- running rusty car 1g is too high, offer $400 see what happens

depends on location...here they ask stupid money ($700) for that exact rear... and in the last 9 years I've seen exactly ONE for sale...we're G body deprived in these parts.

I will say that it sounds like you'll be cherry picking the car, so there isn't going to be a lot of easily saleable pieces left.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Rich,
It sounds like most of the good parts will get absorbed into your wagon...which I couldn't blame you for. The rest of the saleable items would be the front header panel, any decent sheet metal, trim parts, rear and quarter glass, wheels, etc.
$1000. does sound a little steep for a parts car.
However, you could try totaling up the parts that will actually benefit your car, such as the trans, rear end, swaybars, steering box, A/C heater box, bucket seats, console, tilt column, etc. and between selling what's left and scrapping the carcass. The carcass would bring a few hundred in scrap metal.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Since it does not run and you obviously can't take it for a test drive you have no way of knowing if the trans or rearend, steering gearbox etc. function properly so I would base your value on those parts as if they were just a rebuildable cores because that all they may end up being..
Based on your description as a rusty SS that does not run I highly doubt this car was a well maintained vehicle which would make me question anything that can not be proven to me that it works.
I doubt I would pay anywhere near a $1,000 as described, pictures would help evaluate it farther.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
You're absolutely correct about not being able to know the condition of the trans, rearend, steering box, etc.unless the car was running and driving. I guess in the real world you have to assume these parts as cores, as you suggested.
It does sound like a car that's not been taken care of and had it's fair share of abuse.
Point well taken. Perhaps I was being too much of an optimist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor