Quick Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
first off, 3k stall is going to be way too high. and the proper stall will depend on the rear gears. jack up the rear and put a chalk mark on the tires. then count how many times you have to turn the driveshaft to get 1 revolution out of the tire. if you have a posi, both tires will turn in the same direction. if it's an open diff then 1 tire will turn, usually the D/S i think. what i don't remember is if you have to multiply or divide the number of turns by 2 with an open diff. i think you divide. but most likely you'll have something like a 2.41:1 rear gear.
is the trans a 3spd or a 4spd? that also has to do with what rear you want. if it's a 4spd i'd probably go with a 3.42 or 3.73, if it's a 3spd then a 2.73-3.08. since you're in the city the higher (numerically) gears will be good, giving you greater off the line acceleration and you don't have to worry about the higher RPM's at highway speeds.
either way you probably only need a 1800-2000 stall converter for the street.

AnPmc

Apprentice
May 28, 2009
Boogie Down Bronx N.Y.C
megaladon6 said:
first off, 3k stall is going to be way too high. and the proper stall will depend on the rear gears. jack up the rear and put a chalk mark on the tires. then count how many times you have to turn the driveshaft to get 1 revolution out of the tire. if you have a posi, both tires will turn in the same direction. if it's an open diff then 1 tire will turn, usually the D/S i think. what i don't remember is if you have to multiply or divide the number of turns by 2 with an open diff. i think you divide. but most likely you'll have something like a 2.41:1 rear gear.
is the trans a 3spd or a 4spd? that also has to do with what rear you want. if it's a 4spd i'd probably go with a 3.42 or 3.73, if it's a 3spd then a 2.73-3.08. since you're in the city the higher (numerically) gears will be good, giving you greater off the line acceleration and you don't have to worry about the higher RPM's at highway speeds.
either way you probably only need a 1800-2000 stall converter for the street.
Thank You, That was real Informative, So I'm going to Talk to My Mechanic and See if He can get Me what You Recommended. I Think My Transmission is a 3Spd with Overdrive. If not it's a 4Spd with Overdrive

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
overdrive is the 4th gear, so if the shift indicator has the D in a circle, it's a 200-4r 4spd.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
the 200-4r will be a one piece body with a semi-trapezoidal pan with a "bump" at the back of the trans pan. a th350 has a bolt on tailshaft and a square with one corner cut off type trans pan.
i have the 200-4r with a 3.73 posi rear and a 383 with about 400hp. for me the rear is too steep because i do more street driving with lots of highway and i've got major torque. i'm going to try out 3.08's when i can. but the acceleration, when i can get traction, is impressive. i'd probably go with a 3.23 or 3.42 with the 200-4r. hopefully somebody else will chime in with other gear ratio pro's/cons.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
Did you already get the torque converter?

I wouldn't go over 2800 with your engine. I just bought a 3000 stall (for a 383 around 450+hp/tq). The highest rear gear (lowest # ratio) you would want to use with a 3000 stall is 3.40.

If you want a little better gas mileage you can also set it up so it locks out manually instead of just in overdrive.

If I were you I'd get a 2500 stall with around 3.00-3.30 gears. That way you can get decent gas mileage and have as much fun on the highway as you want. I'm guessin this also wouldn't overload the stock rear

If you want a little more fun on the street, I'd get a 2800 stall with a 3.50 rear gear

AnPmc

Apprentice
May 28, 2009
Boogie Down Bronx N.Y.C
custom442 said:
Did you already get the torque converter?

I wouldn't go over 2800 with your engine. I just bought a 3000 stall (for a 383 around 450+hp/tq). The highest rear gear (lowest # ratio) you would want to use with a 3000 stall is 3.40.

If you want a little better gas mileage you can also set it up so it locks out manually instead of just in overdrive.

If I were you I'd get a 2500 stall with around 3.00-3.30 gears. That way you can get decent gas mileage and have as much fun on the highway as you want. I'm guessin this also wouldn't overload the stock rear

If you want a little more fun on the street, I'd get a 2800 stall with a 3.50 rear gear
Na I haven't gotten the Torque Converter, I actually Asked You Guys before making a Purchase, I needed to make sure before I Invested My Money into that. I don't want to Buy something and not need it.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT

don't forget that your 383 has a lot more power and it's probably higher than his. he has a very mild cam and only 9:cr. i think 2800 will still be too high.

i'd call or email some good converter and cam manufacturers and ask them. they can figure out what stall and rear gear will work best. you will need the full specs of the part number of the cam and engine.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Most cam companies make recommendations on converter selection also. Keep in mind that stall ratings vary by engine torque. Example; a 2400 stall behind a stock 305 might actually stall at 2200 whereas the same converter behind a strong 383 might stall at 2600RPM. The cam is the biggest "personality" in you combination. Match your converter, cam, and rear gears accordingly. You won't regret it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor