quick ratio steering box

Status
Not open for further replies.

84 pro olds

Apprentice
Jun 5, 2009
What cars came with the fast ratio steering box and how do can I identify one. Did cars with the f-41 package have them?

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
According to the research I did by searches on this site...yes F41 cars are quick ratio. Standard box will have 3.5 turns lock-to-lock and F41 box will be about 2.5 turns lock-to-lock. Standard boxes are round on top and quick boxes should have 4 bolt cover on top. So far, my trips to the yard have verified this. If someone else has info -- please feel free to chime in.

87GP

Greasemonkey
Jul 15, 2006
Not all square top boxes are quick ratio boxes.

Attachments

• IMAG1682.jpg
    IMAG1682.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 301

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
Find a steering box from a late 80's f-body. If you get a box from an IROC or GTA with 16" wheels it will have more road feel. The code on the round end cap will be "XH"(if you can read it from the years of dirt). 12-1 steering ratio. Bolt in replacement but use your g-body pitman arm instead of the f-body arm.

If you find a box from a Z/28 or Formula with 15" wheels it will be coded "YA". Same 12-1 ratio but it will have less road feel. Differant from a sports car feel to a granny car feel. Less effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor