R-134a price drop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bonnewagon said:
Jrm81bu, my guy can get it for $130.00 a 30lb can. Last year I got it at Coolgas.com, in Texas for $225 delivered when it was going for $280 by me. Same place is now $169.00 delivered. BIG price drop.

Ya that's pretty good. I think it's still going for 199 retail right now. I'll have to check.

My 12oz cans of R134a has dropped to $8.49

My 30lb cylinder is currently $157.95 ... now I would sell it to a shop at $150 and to a walk-in customer at $164.06. I can buy it for $120.75

I wish I had a sizable stash of R-12. I would switch back over from R-134A without hesitation.
tc1959 said:
I have 35 LBS of R12. I have been Storing away two of these for twenty years, My El Camino Has all it's AC and proud of it .
Every thing else works also. Gonna keep it that way, As long as I can..

That's what my guy said too. He'd go back to R-12 in a heartbeat. But from what I read the new R-1234yf is better than them all, uses less at slightly higher pressure, and is way down low on the greenhouse gas list. The limit is 200, R-134a is like 1200, and the R-1234yf is only 4. Mercedes was developing a CO2 system and it was great as far as a greenhouse gas, cost, and supply, but the operating pressures needed where extreme so they gave up. But the R-1234yf is going to need totally different recovery/recycling equipment as even the PAG oil will be different too. I even read that they may outlaw anyone from servicing the new systems or converting old systems unless they can prove they have the proper recovery equipment. They really don't want anyone venting the old gas to atmosphere, as DIY'ers tend to do.

Bonewagon said:
That's what my guy said too. He'd go back to R-12 in a heartbeat. But from what I read the new R-1234yf is better than them all, uses less at slightly higher pressure, and is way down low on the greenhouse gas list. The limit is 200, R-134a is like 1200, and the R-1234yf is only 4. Mercedes was developing a CO2 system and it was great as far as a greenhouse gas, cost, and supply, but the operating pressures needed where extreme so they gave up. But the R-1234yf is going to need totally different recovery/recycling equipment as even the PAG oil will be different too. I even read that they may outlaw anyone from servicing the new systems or converting old systems unless they can prove they have the proper recovery equipment. They really don't want anyone venting the old gas to atmosphere, as DIYers tend to do.
The Bug-A Boo there is the "higher pressure", With Old Components. No one has been able to over come that little hurdle.
I want to see the science, The temp to pressure graphs, And the Durability trials that the Mfgs have done.
Just saying I hope some day they will come up with a real "Drop IN Replacement". That will not be Flammable or cost a arm and a leg to make work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor