R12 Freon

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I also recall hearing the same about co2 being considered, but as I recall you’re running pressures in excess of 1000 psi, so it becomes a safety concern, a weight concern to be able to hold those pressures, and a fuel economy concern trying to turn s compressor to make that much pressure.
Liquid nitrogen tanks under the hood. Sprays out a little at a time through the evap coils when A/C is on. Not too much or you could crack some evaporator coils. Don't even need the car running, just the blower fan. Vent it through some sort of a scrubber system to the atmosphere. Nitrogen is everywhere anyway, and as long as it's not getting turned into NO2, no harm. Perfecto....

Economical? Probably not. Engineering nightmare? Probably so. If you could get it to work practically and economically, it'd be a winner IMO. Just storing it at 350 psig or so, that could be another problem to worry about. But wouldn't it be neat?

Reactions: 1 user

g3chevy

Greasemonkey
Jan 30, 2019
Spring, Texas
Better hang on to that R-12. When I got 901 certified I noticed that the "Freeze 12" etc type R-12 equivalents were NOT allowed anymore. AFAIK the only replacement that can be bought is the Enviro-Safe that they market as an R134a replacement. But it works with R-12 systems too. It even can use the mineral oil.
I've been using the Enviro-Safe Industrial refrigerant in my vehicles for over 20 years. It works great in both R134a and R-12 systems and doesn't react to moisture if it gets into the system like R-12 does. It runs about $7 a can and you don't need a license. Been running it in my 87 El Camino for about a year and a half and blows 40 degrees at idle when its 90 degrees & 90% humidity. It's a very good option for upgrading your a/c system.

Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
^^^^^^There ya go^^^^^^^^^ I can blow 30° or more below ambient with the Enviro-Safe. And my system is 37 years old mostly original. I have a used rebuilt compressor and didn't even change out the mineral oil. I may add a can every few years or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor