Radiator Advice for an ‘83 Calais

464ChillerTech

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 28, 2022
So I’ve got a couple questions and hoping to get cooling system advice. My son’s ‘83 Calais was originally a V6 car but it has a ‘69 Olds 350 in it now. It's a 3 core radiator but it looks pretty crusty and already has a tiny leak so I’m planning to just replace it. We live in Nebraska so summers are hot and humid, the car is also black, and I noticed that when we would idle for a while the temperature would creep up. The fan clutch appears to be the cause for that. He currently has a school permit so he doesn’t drive it for very long but I need to get it resolved before winter so that I don’t have to keep adding coolant. Parts stores aren’t any help in my area b/c of the engine swap and I don’t know what the engine came out of. I’m not looking for the cheapest options but it is a ”school” car so I’m more interested in reliability. Originality doesn’t matter and he wants to participate in car shows but I would like to not have to make a lot of mods. It’s using the built in trans cooler currently (turbo 350 trans).
-There’s a lot of fan clutch options for a ‘69 Olds 350 so I’m not sure what part # to go with there
-Is an aluminum radiator the better way to go to keep temps down in the summer or should I stick w/ OE style.
-For hoses would you recommend the universal braided style or find a rubber style to fit.

Any advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_3756.jpeg
    IMG_3756.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 46
Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
For dealing with the parts counter dopes, just claim it's a 307 with heavy duty cooling but all they'll have is those plastic tanked/aluminum cored units. Summit is one place that carries copper/brass units. For all aluminum not all direct fit are a direct fit.

Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I pulled this from my Regal build thread.

For those of you looking for a radiator that fits perfectly to replace a 307 stock radiator I bought a Champion aluminum 3 core that had no fitment issues but they do have larger outlets that require different radiator hoses, here are the part numbers I used which are both made by Dayco upper hose 70548 and lower hose 70936.

img_1931-jpg.78281

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
I have a V8 brass copper unit collecting dust. Only paid 25 for it.

Don't forget..., also check out Rock Auto. Prices are fair but you will pay shipping. I've used several of thiers and never had a problem.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
With minor trimming you can fit a wider A body rad. I used the aluminum plastic radiator with my 350, stayed within 10 degrees of the thermostat. I also used the Champion 3 core, it only cooled Ok but fit quite well.

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Speed Daddy and DNA Motoring both sell radiators that are apparently equal to Champion in quality but slightly cheaper. They come with a plastic drain petcock.

I currently have no complaints about my plastic tanked Spectra, but will likely upgrade to an all aluminum B Body unit from DNA in the future.

Reactions: 1 users

464ChillerTech

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 28, 2022
Thanks for all the advice (y)

Update: I ended up purchasing a Liland Global 162AA3R aluminum from Rock Auto for less than $300. It was listed as the HD cooling replacement for a 307. Even though I haven’t been able to drive it on a hot day I can tell it’s doing a better job of cooling. I also replaced the fan clutch and flushed everything out. Previous person who had the T-stat housing off was nice enough to strip the threads out of the intake so it got helicoils and a new housing.

Last edited:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor