Radio and clock went crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
I have a 1986 Buick Regal Limited with the factory AM/FM cassette radio. It has always worked fine (except the tape player) until recently. One day out of the blue the clock stopped working (it usually comes on when you turn the key to accessory or have the engine turned on). The radio stopped working too, all it would do is "pop" and the "FM" light would come on for a second, then disappear. It was like this for a day or two.

I checked the fuses, and they were all fine. Then I decided to take the radio trim bezel off to tear into it. By just taking the trim piece off, the clock and radio started working again. The only problem now is that the clock reads 10:96 when it is 10:56 and so on with other assorted numbers.

Would anyone know what is going on? This is an unmolested car with no weird wiring, just the original stuff. The car is in overall nice shape with under 100,000 miles.

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
Any ideas? If it helps, it rained hard the day before it started acting up. Maybe it got hit by lightning?

Also, if anyone has info. on restoring one of these radios and getting the tape deck working again it would be greatly appreciated.

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
I just unplugged and replugged everything on the back of the radio. The numbers all look fine on the clock now. Still don't know what caused it though.

outsider_27

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
If the tape player doesn't play, it is probably the rubber belt inside. Not too hard to replace it.

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
outsider_27 said:
If the tape player doesn't play, it is probably the rubber belt inside. Not too hard to replace it.

When you put a tape in the player it just keeps switching sides and then won't eject the tape.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Blake442 said:
Or throw it in the trash and get a CD player... :lol:

some want to keep the car original....I have a buddy who still has an OE 8 track in his car and he's real proud of it..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor