Radio interference after cap & rotor change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bludacious

Apprentice
Jan 2, 2018
I just replaced my cap & rotor with the Accel heavy duty kit. Immediately after I did this I noticed my stereo now has a constant buzz and random pops, sometimes it will also make other longer, louder noises that are quite unpleasant to listen to. It is also had enough that the head unit will interpret the interference as signals from the remote and activate random buttons. With the motor off it sounds and behaves fine and the one and only thing that's been changed is the cap, rotor and button. Wires are a new mid grade stock replacement and I run Delco plugs. I'm a bit disappointed because the Chinese cap & rotor the distributor came with new had none of these issues for the 8+ months I had and regularly ran them on the car. Motor is the stock 305 with a replacement vac advance HEI distributor off eBay.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Wow! HEI, right? Is the ground for the coil hooked up (little strap from coil mount screw to center pin in the 3 prong plug)? What plugs are you running? May need resistor plugs.. Can you swap the battery from another vehicle? The battery is the primary noise filter in a car electrical system.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I just replaced my cap & rotor with the Accel heavy duty kit. Immediately after I did this I noticed my stereo now has a constant buzz and random pops, sometimes it will also make other longer, louder noises that are quite unpleasant to listen to. It is also had enough that the head unit will interpret the interference as signals from the remote and activate random buttons. With the motor off it sounds and behaves fine and the one and only thing that's been changed is the cap, rotor and button. Wires are a new mid grade stock replacement and I run Delco plugs. I'm a bit disappointed because the Chinese cap & rotor the distributor came with new had none of these issues for the 8+ months I had and regularly ran them on the car. Motor is the stock 305 with a replacement vac advance HEI distributor off eBay.

where do you think Accel is made?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I wonder if it could be a low ohm contact from the coil?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
That is RFI, or Radio Frequency Interference. Your Accel parts are producing this and I would dump them. Try the Standard Auto Products Blue Streak line. They are very good and I have never seen RFI from them. Worst case scenario you could put a huge filter in the power line for your radio but that is treating the symptom not the problem.

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I am running a $40 Ebay distributor in my Regal that comes with nice cap and rotor with brass terminals and I don't have any issues with radio interference so it seems strange that an Accel cap and rotor would have far less quality that what I am running.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
My buddy had a '68 Firebird 400 and he used Accell everything, cap, rotor, wires, and super-coil. When he pulled up my TV screen would go straight to snow. RFI.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I'm a bit disappointed because the Chinese cap & rotor the distributor came with new had none of these issues
These no name cap and rotors appear to be pretty decent quality I ran one on my Olds 307 and now a new set up for the 355 SBC and I already bought a new cap and rotor set for the future when I need to do a tune up, I considered switching to a name brand but these work great.

Bludacious

Apprentice
Jan 2, 2018
Okay, turns out I just had a bit of bad luck and timing (no pun intended). Alternator started to leak AC voltage around the same time I installed the new cap and continued to get worse after I changed back. Makes me regret returning the Accel cap because the motor ran quite well with it. Anyways I figured the alternator thing out when it fried my receiver. Good thing it was only one of those $20 Dual ones from Wally World. Must say I am still impressed I got 3 years out of it, would buy again!

where do you think Accel is made?

Never thought about that...:LOL:

I am running a $40 Ebay distributor in my Regal that comes with nice cap and rotor with brass terminals and I don't have any issues with radio interference so it seems strange that an Accel cap and rotor would have far less quality that what I am running.

Funny you should mention it, that's the one I'm running! Like this one, right? Word of warning if you still have the original ICM in it, change it! It is where they cheaped out and is not very reliable!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor