Radio reset?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatload2

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 17, 2010
Whorelando FL
1st off my car is an electrical nightmare. Does anyone know what would cause my radio to reset every time I turn the ignition off? It's as if it gets disconnected from the batt. every friggin time. Anybody know what the issue may be and how to fix it?

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
If it's a GM radio, there's a two-wire plug located around the center rear of the radio. Wire colors are orange and brown. The orange wire is hot all the time and is on the same circuit as the courtesy lights and cig lighter. A blown courtesy light / cig. lighter fuse or incorrectly wired circuit could be the problem.

Bill

fatload2

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 17, 2010
Whorelando FL
Crap, sorry I forgot to mention it's an aftermarket head unit. This info is still helpful tho as it points me towards the constant hot wire not being hooked up to the harness maybe

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the red may not be the constant hot wire....my red wire is just the power on supply and the yellow is the constant. Why not look for the wiring diagram online for your radio

Jg85350Regal

Greasemonkey
Mar 10, 2010
Windsor Locks, CT
Yep the yellow is ussualy the contant hot or memory wire and the red is the switched wire. If you have the yellow and the red swapped the radio will still work but exactly what you desribe will happen.

fatload2

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 17, 2010
Whorelando FL
I just pulled the head unit out and found that the red and yellow wires from the Kenwood harness are tied in together with the yellow wire on the factory harness. That can't be right so my question is what do I tie the red into and what do I tie the yellow into? It's been about 13yrs since I've wired up a radio in an old car like this

Jg85350Regal

Greasemonkey
Mar 10, 2010
Windsor Locks, CT
Ok that makes sence, the red wire off the radio should stay hooked up to the yellow wire in the car. The yellow needs to go to a wire that has constant power, it might be orange I can't remember but a meter or a test light would tell you for sure.

fatload2

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 17, 2010
Whorelando FL
On the cars harness there were 2 plugs that have been cut up. one had a black, a yellow and a gray. The gray wire was the only one not connected to the new harness. the other appears to be for the speakers. I wish I had a test light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor